Health Policy and Health Systems
Understand the main determinants and the political, social and economic context of the evolution of health systems in Portugal and in Europe.
Identify key stakeholders who influence policy and health system in Portugal, as well as the processes by which these influences are exercised.
Develop the analytical capacity of the health system and health policy.
Acquire the knowledge and skills needed to understand and influence health policy and health system.
Paulo Jorge dos Santos Sousa
Weekly - Available soon
Total - 20
Barros, P., & Simões, J. (2007). Health Systems in Transition, Portugal: Health System Review. European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies, 9 (5), 1-140.
Campos, A. (2008). Reformas da saúde. O fio condutor. Coimbra: Almedina
Campos, A. & Simões, J. (2011). O percurso da saúde: Portugal na Europa. Coimbra: Almedina.
Simões, J. (2009). Retrato Político da Saúde - dependência do percurso e inovação em saúde: Da ideologia ao desempenho. Coimbra: Almedina.
OCDE: Health at a Glance: Europe 2013.
Theoretical sessions. Each session is divided into two parts: (1) the first part (40 minutes) it is reviewing the content of the previous session with the active participation of the students and (2) the second part of the session (60 minutes) is the expository character.
Continuous assessment (degree and quality of participation in class): 10%
Working Group: 40%
Written test individual (short answer): 50%
1. Introduction: health policies and health systems. Context and determinants of its evolution;
2. Agendas policies, values and health policies. Equity and health policies. Change and innovation in health management.
3. Health governance process. Role of government and public administration of health. The government of health resources. Intersectoral and health policies. Governance in health. The stakeholders of health.
4. Health policy in Portugal.
5. Knowledge and health policies. Theoretical basis of the analysis of the evolution of health systems. The role of knowledge in health governance.
Programs where the course is taught: