Tele-Health & Health Information Technologies in Public Health
A general framework: Role and application of informatics and IT in health.
Provide opportunities for students to:
- Develop an understanding of Medical Informatics and informatics applications in Medicine and Public Health;
- Acquire skills in use and management of Information Technologies;
- Acquire basic knowledge of health data quality criteria (as users and producers);
- Motivate for the use of monitoring, surveillance and management applications;
- Develop awareness of IT use by health professionals;
Develop skills in Decision Support Systems.
Prof.ª Doutora Carlota Louro
Weekly - Available soon
Total - Available soon
- Introduction to TELEMEDICINE. Second edition. Richard Wootton, John Craig and Victor Patterson. The Royal Society of Medicine Press. 2011.
- Disease surveillance-A Public Health informatics Approach. Ed. Joseph S. Lombardo, David Buckeridge. Willey &Sons, 2007.
- Lauf Kuziemsky C, Price M, Gardner J. A review of systematic reviews of Health information system Studies. Journal of the American Information Association, 2010; 17:637-645.
§ Hearsh, W R., 2002. Medical informatics: improving Health care through information. AMA: 288(16), 1955-1958.
§ Krittanawong, C. (2018) The Rise of Artificial Intelligence and the Uncertain Future
for Physicians. European Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 48, Feb.
- ALGUNS SITES
https://www.himss.eu/himss-taxonomy-topics/telehealth(a completar em cada sessão teórica)
- OPCIONAL: Glossário de termos técnicos específicos da UC. Webinars
A written commentary of: case-study, project development or improvement. A Clinical/Public Health Decision Support System critical assessment.
A capstone or synthesis of a Telehealth project. (2/3).
A half to one page written proposal has to be approved first.
Participation, problem solving and interventions (1/3). Completion and assessment of an e-learning module may be required. Quantitative scale (0-20).
Course content (topics) / Subject matter
Tele-Health Historical view. Role of medical informatics in Health practice and basic Public Health application of informatics such as surveillance, reporting systems and health education and promotion.
The use of innovation for clinical triage or monitoring of chronic conditions.
Syndromic surveillance. Networks. Case-studies. Seminars, case-studies, demonstration and practice of applications, on-site visits.
Programs where the course is taught: