The CU The Elderly Patient aims to deliver knowledge and competency in Gerontology and Geriatrics, in a comprehensive view of the individual, integrated with the teaching of the CU´s of the Integrated Master in Medicine of NMS|FCM.
At the end of the CU, the students should be able to:
- Identify manifestations of biological ageing;
- Differentiate disease specificities of elderly people;
- Include the concepts of functionality and frailty in clinical practice;
- Identify geriatric syndromes;
- Outline an individual care plan, in accordance with a multiprofessional approach.
Prof.ª Doutora Amália Botelho
Weekly - Available soon
Total - Available soon
- Ferrucci R,Studenski S. Clinical problems of ageing. Chapter 11. Part 1. Harrison's principles of internal medicine. New York: McGraw-Hill Medical, 2015
- Hazzard's geriatric medicine and gerontology (2009). McGraw-Hill Companies.
- Botelho, MA. Envelhecimento e Funcionalidade (2014). In: Envelhecimento, Saúde e Doença, Novos Desafios para a Prestação de Cuidados a Idosos. Coordenação de António Fonseca. Coisas de Ler
- Balsinha C, Gonçalves-Pereira M. A avaliação do paciente idoso em Medicina Geral e Familiar: desafios e oportunidades. Revista Portuguesa de Medicina Geral e Familiar 2014; 30: 196-201.
- Botelho, M.A. (2007) Idade Avançada - características biológicas e multimorbilidade. Revista Portuguesa de Medicina Geral e Familiar 2007; 23:191-5
7 theoretical classes (T)
1 session on clinical cases and integrated intervention plans (Seminar)
5 theoretical-classes of clinical cases (C)
1 gerontological article (A)
1 session in Geriatric Hospital (HM)
Continuous Evaluation (30%):
clinical case 4% each (20%);
hospital session 5%.
Final Evaluation (70%):
Multiple choice questions, by medQuizz method
- Biological ageing, health, physical and mental disease in elderly people;
- Concepts of functionality and frailty;
- Concept of geriatric syndrome, its detection and related factors;
- Comprehensive geriatric assessment and individual care plan, according to ethic and legal aspects, in accordance with a multiprofissional approach.
Programs where the course is taught: