At the end of the course, the student should have the ability to:
1. Understand the Immunotherapy and its clinical applications;
2. Evaluate the role of various immunotherapeutic strategies in the treatment of diseases;
3. Report based on acquired knowledge, important issues related to the design of therapeutic measures;
4. Interpret scientific articles and pre-clinical and clinical trials in this area communicate/explain published results;
5. Develop a critical evaluation of therapeutic approaches and new discoveries, compared to more traditional approaches;
6. Relate the concepts of Immunotherapies in the discussions and integration of information.
Prof.ª Doutora Paula Videira
Weekly - Available soon
Total - Available soon
Cancer Immunotherapy- Paradigms, Practice and Promise, Curiel, Tyler J. (Ed.) 2013, IX,
Cellular and Molecular Immunology, Saunders/Elsevier, 2011 by Abbas, Lichtman, and Pillai
Janeway's Immunobiology 9th Ed. Kenneth Murphy, Casey Weaver ISBN:9780815344452
Kuby Immunology; Kindt, Goldsby, Osborne
Fundamentos de Imunologia, Lidel, Fernando A. Arosa, Elsa M. Cardoso, Francisco C. Pacheco
The course is organized in, 12 theoretical classes and 16 theoretical-practice classes. Theoretical classes include general and specific themes and seminars, followed by theoretical-practical classes, where students will be divided by groups to work in discussion of related articles, clinical cases and/or team work.
1. Introduction to immunotherapy;
2. Immune Tolerance: Autoimmunity, Transplantation and hypersensitivity;
3. Vaccination and new vaccines;
4. Tumor Immunology;
5. Cellular circuits in chronic inflammation: identification of biomarkers and therapeutic targets;
6. Antibody Engineering;
7. Antigen immunotherapy targets.
1. Clinical applications of therapeutic antibodies;
2. T-cell based therapies;
3. Dendritic cell based therapies;
4. Others cell therapies in clinical practices;
5. Cytokines as therapeutic targets;
6. Genetic engineering in immunotherapy;
7. Ethical / legal and commercial considerations in new immunotherapies.
Programs where the course is taught: