PhD in History
- Ability to analyze, evaluate and synthesize new and complex ideas in general and in particular in the field of history and its specialized fields;
- Capacity for in-depth study of theoretical and methodological knowledge and practices essential to the development of original research in their speciality which will enable the students actively contribute to the broadening of knowledge, whilst conforming themselves to the requirements imposed by the best standards of academic quality and integrity in their special field;
- Ability to produce a research essay whose results are publishable, at the national and international level;
- Capacity to communicate the results of their research in History to their peers, in the academic community, and to the general public;
- Ability to produce and develop work and original research projects, individually or in teams, about History, at national and international level;
PhD (3rd Cycle)
Access to other programs
A Doctorate is a final qualification.
This course is recognized for career progression purposes of recruitment for teachers of group 200 and 400, as provided in the Statute of Teaching Career
Maria Fernanda Rollo
More information provided in the Call for Applications, available on www.fcsh.unl.pt
(to be available at http://fcsh.unl.pt/escola-doutoral/doutoramentos)
Length: 8 semesters. Total credits: 240 credits (60 from curricular units + 180 credits from the non teaching component). Non teaching component modalities: Thesis. Number of credits as free-elective optionals: 10 credits. The free seminar optional can be chosen among curricular units from the postgraduate training offered by the Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities (FCSH-UNL), in other units of NOVA University of Lisbon, or other national or foreign Higher Education institutions under agreement or protocol.
The degree of doutor corresponds to the level 8 of the NQF and EQF-National Qualifications Framework/European Qualifications Framework.
Conditions of admittance
To be admitted to a doctoral programme of studies, the candidate should satisfy the conditions set forth in Portuguese legislation and in the normative conditions of UNL as well as fulfil at least one of the following requirements: a) Have a Masters degree, or a legal equivalent; b) Have a first cycle degree (licenciatura) and a particularly relevant academic or scientific curriculum which is recognised by the Academic Board of FCSH/NOVA as testifying to the candidates ability to undertake this cycle of studies; c) Possess an academic, scientific or professional curriculum recognised by the Academic Board of FCSH/NOVA as testifying to the candidates ability to undertake this cycle of studies.
The study course leading to the doctoral degree includes the completion of a doctoral program that consists of curricular unit aimed at training for research; the realization of an original thesis, designed especially for this purpose, appropriate to the branch of knowledge or expertise. The seminar curricular units type are classified on a scale of 0-20. The final classification of the PhD course is expressed by approved or not approved formulas. In case of approval, the final classification of the PhD course is expressed in the range 10-20 on a scale of 0-20, doing the arithmetic average of the marks in which the curricular units with 10 ECTS. The final classification of the thesis is expressed by formulas approved or refused by justified nominal vote with no abstentions.
|73205100||Methodology for History - 1st semester||10|
|73205101||Problematics of History - 1st semester||10|
|73271115||Thesis in History||180|
|73205107||Final Course Assignment||20|
|Elective option 1|
|73205102||Ancient History - 2nd semester||10|
|73205108||Archaeology - 2nd semester||10|
|73205109||Historic Archives - 2nd semester||10|
|73205106||Contemporary History - 2nd semester||10|
|73205105||History of the Discoveries and Portuguese Expansion - 2nd semester||10|
|73205103||Medieval History - 2nd semester||10|
|73205104||Modern History - 2nd semester||10|
|Elective option 2|
|73217112||Opção Livre (not translated)||10|
|73205110||Research Seminar in Archaeology - 1st semester||10|
|73205112||Research seminar in Historical Archivistics||10|
|73205111||Research Seminar in History - 1st semester||10|