1. Deepen the study of historical-archaeological aspects occurred since the earliest days of human colonization of our territory to the emergence of complex societies and of proto-state nature.
2. Provide specialized information on the economic, social, technological, ideological and cognitive prehistoric societies in different cultural and regional frameworks, of the current Portuguese territory.
3. Recognizing the importance of the environment and natural resources, in the economic development, social, technological and ideological.
4. Report features and characteristics, structures and prehistoric archaeological spoils as they reflect behaviors.
5. Provide knowledge to develop technical and theoretical ability to independently develop projects and new interpretative models of the prehistoric past.
Weekly - 2
Total - Available soon
GOMES, M. V., 1994, A Necrópole da Alfarrobeira (São Bartolomeu de Messines) e a Idade do Bronze no Concelho de Silves, Museu Municipal de Arqueologia de Silves, Silves.
Gonçalves, V. dos S. e Sousa, A. C. (eds.) (2010) - Transformação e Mudança no Centro e Sul de Portugal: o 4o e o 3o milénios a.n.e, Câmara Municipal de Cascais e Uniarq, Cascais.
JORGE, S. O., 1999, O Domesticar a Terra, Edições Gradiva, Porto.
LEWIS-WILLIAMS, D.; PEARCE, D. (2005) - Inside the Neolithic mind. Consciousness, cosmos and the realm of the gods. London: Thames & Hudson.
ROJO, M.; GARRIDO, R., GARCÍA, Í., coord. (2012) - El Neolítico en la Península Ibérica en su contexto europeo. Madrid: Cátedra.
SOARES, J., 2003, Os Hipogeus Pré-Históricos da Quinta do Anjo (Palmela) e as Economias do Simbólico, Museu de Arqueologia e Etnologia de Setúbal, Setúbal.
Classes will have a theoretical and a practical nature, accompanied by audiovisual information in the classroom and in the Laboratory of Archaeology. The dialogue between the teacher and students, should be promoted. Practical lessons in order to study specific empirical information: - Exercise review documents (archaeological materials, texts, movies, etc ....) - Presentation and discussion of student work; - Development of analytical procedures in the laboratory. Activities aimed at teaching: - Visits to museums, institutions and other excavations / archaeological sites.
The assessment is done through a individual paper.
Each year will be addressed one of the following themes:
- Homo erectus and \"Neanderthal Man\" in the current Portuguese territory.
- The creation and manipulation of symbols in the Upper Paleolithic or in other ages.
- Life and Death in the Mesolithic.
- Emergence and consolidation of manufacturing societies.
- Megalithism - societies and symbols.
- Chalcolithic Societies - Genesis and end of a civilization.
- Bronze Ages - Resources, bylaws and ideologies
Programs where the course is taught: