Urban Anthropology - 1st semester
This curricular unit aims to explore how anthropology has seen urban studies and the city. During the semester we will cover not only the establishment of an urban anthropology but also the multiplicity of perspectives and contemporary themes. At the end of the semester, students should acquire a broad view of anthropological research on the urban and the city.
Weekly - 4
Total - Available soon
1.Simmel, G. (1903), A metrópole e a vida do espírito in Fortuna, C., (ed.) (1997), Cidade, Cultura e Globalização, Oeiras, Celta Editora.
2.Weber, M. (1921) , The nature of the city in Weber, M. (1921) , The City, New York, Collier Books, pp.71-96.
3.Park, R. (1925) , The City: Suggestions for the investigation of human behaviour in the urban environment in Park, R., Burgess, E., (eds.) (1925) .
4.Burgess, E., The growth of the city: an introduction to a research project in Park, R., Burgess, E., (eds.) (1925) , The City: Suggestions
for investigation of human behaviour in the urban environment, Chicago, Chicago University Press, pp. 47-62.
5.Redfield, R. (1947), The Folk Society, American Journal of Sociology, 53 (4), pp. 293-308.
6. Wirth, L, (1938), O urbanismo como modo de vida in Fortuna, C., (ed.) (1997), Cidade, Cultura e Globalização, Oeiras, Celta Editores, pp.1-46
The classes will be mainly carried out by the lecturer but participation is highly encouraged.
a) Participation in classes and frequency (10%)
b) Small exam (30%)
c) Final exam (60%)
1. Urban anthropology From urban ecology to imagined cities
2. Georg Simmel and a metropolis culture
3. Max Weber and the city in history
4. William Thomas, Florian Znaniecki and the polish peasants in the US
5. Robert Park, Ernest Burgess and the Chicago School
6. Robert Redfield and Louis Wirth and the legacy of Chicago
7. Max Gluckman, J. Clyde Mitchell and the Rhodes Livingstone Institute
8. John Barnes, Elizabeth Bott and the network theory
9. Michael Young, Peter Willmot and Bethnal Green
10. Herbert Gans and the urban villagers
11. Oscar Lewis and the culture of poverty
12. Ulf Hannerz and ghetto cultures
13. Richard Fox and the anthropology of cities
14. Anthony Leeds
15. Leith Mulling and the political economy of cities
16. Owen Lynch and the post modern city
17. Setha Low and the imagined city
18. Advanced marginality
19. Global cities
20. The multi-ethnic city
Programs where the course is taught: