1. Conduct a theoretical and methodological extended reflection around the proposed work about uses of culture.
2. Perform a more specialized theoretical reflection on the proposals that link the study of the uses of culture to the negotiations of identities issues .
3. Update their problematic around case studies, in order to conduct a scientifically and ethically grounded discussion about the possible practical applications of the acquired knowledge.
Weekly - 4
Total - Available soon
COHEN, E., 1988, Authenticity and Commoditization in Tourism, Annals of tourism research, vol.15(3). (371-386)
Buchli, V. (edit.), 2002, The material culture reader, Berg, Oxford, New York.
DUARTE, A., 2010, A antropologia e o estudo do consumo: revisão crítica das suas relações e possibilidades, Etnográfica, vol.14, nº2, JunhoLury,
C., 1997, Consumer Culture, Cambridge, Polity (1ª ed.1996).
MILLER, D., 1997, Consumption and its consequences, Mackay, H. (org.), Consumption and everyday life, London-Thousand Oaks-New Delhi, Sage, (13-50).
ROSALES, M., 2009, Cultura Material e Consumo: Uma Introdução. Oeiras, Celta.
SILVANO, F., 2011, \"Things we see: portuguese anthropology on material culture\", Etnográfica, Lisboa.
1. Classes centered on exposure of teaching, based on the analysis and critical reflection of the most significant works of anthropology of space.
2. Lessons focused on the presentation made by the students, chips reading texts set by the teacher.
3. Lessons focused on the presentation by the teacher, case studies, and discussions with students.
Evaluation: 1. Preparation and execution of a test (50%)
2. Oral presentation of readings (40%)
3. Attendance and participation in class (10%)
The curricular unit will promote the presentation and critical of texts and case studies related to the central themes:
1. The consumption of a wide and diversified set of cretaive practices invested with meaning, central for the contemporary processes of identitary
2. Patrimonialisation undestood as a mechanism objectification and commoditisation of culture.
Programs where the course is taught: