Archaeology Field Work and Dating Techniques - 2nd semester
1. To acquire general and actualized knowledge on site detection and monographic work, principles of archaeological excavation and dating techniques and methods.
2. To acquire basic knowledge on landscape shaping strategies and territorial exploitation of past societies.
3. To obtain basic knowledge on theoretical principles of archaeological interpretation that imply with dating sites, contexts and artifacts.
4. To acquire knowledge on sampling techniques practiced in Field Archaeology.
Docente a definir
Weekly - 4
Total - Available soon
Bicho, N. F., Manual de Arqueologia Pré-Histórica, Lisboa, Edições 70, 2006.
AAVV, Almadan, II Série, n.º 5, A Arqueologia e as outras ciências, Almada,
Centro de Arqueologia de Almada, 1996.
Harris, E.C., Princípios de Estratigrafía Arqueológica, Barcelona, Crítica, Colección Crítica Arqueologia, 1993.
Renfrew, C. e Bahn, P., Arqueology: Theories, Methods and Practice, Londres,Thames and Hudson, 1991
Barker, P., Techniques of archaeological excavation (2ª Ed.), Londres, Batsford, 1982.
Masterly conducted sessions with image projections. Pratical sessions including handling archaeological artifacts. Visits to archaeological sites and museums.
Two writen items (tests).
1. Archaeology Prospection. The territory investigation: documental, ethnographic, geographic sources, toponimia and remote sensing. Methods and techniques regarding a territory. Monographic prospection: topography, systematic sampling, remote sensing techniques.
2. Archaeological Excavation. Principles of archeological stratigraphy. The techinques and its background: grid-method, german method and open area. The portuguese case.
3. Dating in Archaeology. Relative and Absolute dating: general principles, typology, contextual dating, dating artifacts and artifact associations. Absolute dating: general principles, isotopic techniques and methods, termoluminescense, dendrochronology geo and paleomagnetism. The portuguese case.
Programs where the course is taught: