Climatologia das Regiões Tropicais (not translated) - 1st semester
a) To know the causes of the high temperatures that characterize the tropical climates;
b) To know the mechanisms of precipitation in the tropical climates;
c) To understand the atmospheric circulation of the tropical world;
d) To identify the main constraints and potentialities of the tropical climates;
e) To explain the characteristics of the different tropical climates.
José Eduardo Ventura
Weekly - 4
Total - Available soon
Ayoade, J. O. (2004). Introdução à Climatologia para os Trópicos (10th ed.). São Paulo: Bertrand Brasil, 332p.
Cuadrat, J. Mª. & Pita, Mª. F. (2014). Climatología (7th ed.). Madrid: Ediciones Cátedra. p. 343-386.
Gil Olcina, A.; Olcina Cantos, J. (1999). Climatología Básica (3rd ed.). Barcelona: Ariel Geografia. p. 280-362.
McGregory, G. R. & Nieuwolt, S. (1998). Tropical Climatologie (2nd ed.). Chicester: Wiley
- Lectures with presentation of the topics of the program for teaching and discussion with students.
- Practical classes with carrying out work which show the main characteristics and problems of the world tropical climates.
Each student is required:
- Reading a set of selected texts, whose contents will be assessed through a written test (40%)
- The realization of an individual work in the classroom context (15%)
- The realization and oral presentation of an individual or group work (40%)
- Attendance (5%).
(According to the FCSH Assessment Standards, the proposed evaluation elements to introduce students in the first class may suffer readjustments, particularly in the percentage of each element).
1) Energy budgets and temperatures in the tropical regions
2) Main characteristics of the tropical atmospheric circulation: high subtropical pressures, trade winds and inter tropical convergence
3) The genesis of the tropical disturbances
4) Circulations patterns in the monsoon climates
5) The ENSO events and its feedbacks
6) The tropical cyclones: causes, dynamics and consequences
7) The different pluviometric rhythms and its causes
8) The drought problem and its consequences
9) The tropical climates mosaic.