Sociology of Territory - 1st semester
1. Knowledge and understanding of the sociological frameworks for considering territorial change;
2. Ability to analyse processes of territorial change, decomposing their actor systems, the interests at stake and the social practices in their relations with the forms of use and with the occupation of territories;
3. Ability to communicate sociological knowledge about the theme in an accurate and meaningful way;
4. Ability to carry out informed and critical intervention to monitor the implementation of territorial policies and programs.
João Pedro Nunes, Luís Vicente Baptista
Weekly - 4
Total - Available soon
Andrade, L et al (2009) Espaços públicos: Novas sociabilidades, novos controles. Cadernos Metrópole, 21, pp. 131153
Bourdieu, P (dir) (1993) La misère du monde. Gallimard, pp. 249-262
Giddens, A (2003) A constituição da sociedade. M. Fontes
Halbwachs, M (2010) Morfologia social. Edições 70
Hall, E (1986) A dimensão oculta. Relógio dÁgua
Lefebvre, H (2012) O direito à cidade. Estudio
McKenzie, R (1984) The ecological approach to the study of the human community. In The city. The University of Chicago Press
Newby, H (1980) Community. The Open University Press
Rémy, J & Voyé, L (1997) A cidade: Rumo a uma nova definição. Afrontamento.
Simmel, G (1950) The Stranger. In The Sociology of G. Simmel. Free Press, pp. 402-408.
Valdiviesso, R. (2006) Contribuição para o conhecimento da territorialidade humana: o graffiti e o espaço territorial urbano, MsC Thesis, FCiências da UPorto
Practical classes (50%): exploration of documents; paper presentations and discussion of the themes proposed by teachers.
In class teaching.
Written test in class (60%)
Written paper based on the reading of a scientific article and its presentation to class; discussion of the paper (40%)
Theme 1: The territory in the sociological perspective (theoretical component)
1. The utility of the sociological perspective to the analysis of territory: the notions of \"territoriality\" and \"interaction territories\"
2. The notions of \"proxemia\" and \"modes of regionalization\"
3. The Social Morphology approach
4. The Human Ecology approach
5. The Marxist approach
6. the notions of \"physical space\" and \"social space\"
Theme 2: The diversity of territorial dynamics (theoretical component)
7. The countryside as a secondary space of urbanization
8. Community and territory
9. Cities Suburbs
10. Public and private territories
Theme 3: The territory in contemporary Portuguese sociology (practical component)