Seminário de Tradução de Francês (not translated) - 2nd semester
This course will focus on the issue of legal translation and has the following specific objectives:
a) to acquire knowledge and skills for the practice of legal translation.
b) to acquire knowledge and skills for critical analysis of legal translation.
c) to acquire knowledge of theoretical perspectives of legal translation.
d) to acquire knowledge of resources for the practice of legal translation.
e) to provide the practice of legal translation as a way to develop skills in translation.
f) to acquire knowledge about the Portuguese and French legal system.
g) to understand the role of legal translator as part of the process of drafting legal documents.
Weekly - 4
Total - Available soon
BOCQUET, C. (2008). La traduction juridique. Fondements et méthodes. Bruxelles: De Boeck.
CORNU, G. (2000). Linguistique juridique. Paris: Montchrestien, coll. Domat-droit privé.
ECO, U. (2010). Dire presque la même chose. Expériences de traduction. Paris: Le Livre de Poche, coll. Biblio essais.
GOUADEC, D. et alii (2002). Traduction, terminologie et rédaction. Actes des universités d´été et d´automne 2002 et du colloque international: Spécialités et spécialisations dans la pratique professionnelle et la formation des traducteurs. Paris: La Maison du Dictionnaire.
NORD, C. (2008). La traduction : une activité ciblée. Introduction aux approches fonctionnalistes. Arras: Artois Presses Université.
PRIETO RAMOS, F., BORJA ALBI, A. (2013). Legal Translation in Context: Professional Issues and Prospects. New Trends in Translation Studies Series, vol. 4. Oxford, Bern, New York: Peter Lang.
SIMONNAES, I., KRISTIANSEN, M. (2019). Legal Translation. Current Issues and Challenges in Resea
Lectures and practical classes during which students are asked to review and comment texts previously selected by the teacher. Initially these interventions will be undertaken jointly and then, in small groups or individually.
In class teaching.
- Research paper - \"Portefólio\" (free theme) (60%)
- Oral presentation : translation of a legal text (500 words max.) and a critical reflection about the same (20%)
- Participation - continuous assessment: readings and critical reflections on legal translation / Research information on legal translation / Translations and critical reflections (20%).
Minimum attendance: 70% of classes (except workers-students)
1. Research methodology in the field of legal translation (French to Portuguese/Portuguese to French).
2. Theory and practice of research in areas related to the paper´s theme.
3. Orientation for the preparation of a research paper on the selected theme.
4. Research paper.
5. Presentation and discussion of the research papers.
Programs where the course is taught: