Radio Journalism Lab aims to show the particularities of Radio journalism, so that by the end of this course, students will:
1)learn the particularities of Radio journalism, never losing focus on journalism itself;
2)understand the requirements of Radio and the role played by sound in the structure of the journalistic narrative;
3)understand the specific role of text (and its formal requirements) in articulation with the other elements of Radio journalistic narrative: sounds, interviews, music, silence, also assessing the specific role of each one;
4.Edit a Radio report using sound edition software
5.Learn how to convey the message effectively, correcting diction errors, projecting the voice;
6.Follow an evolution process that, by the end of the semester, will allow students to produce a radio report.

General characterization





Responsible teacher

Pedro Coelho


Weekly - 4

Total - Available soon

Teaching language



Not applicable


BONIXE, Joaquim L. R. 2012. A Informação Radiofónica: rotinas e valores-notícia da reprodução da realidade na rádio portuguesa. ed. 1. Lisboa: Livros Horizonte.
BONIXE, Joaquim L. R. 2012. Internet e participação - o renascimento da rádio local como espaço de debate público. In Ágora - Jornalismo de Proximidade: Limites, Desafios e Oportunidades, 17 - 36. . Covilhã: UBI.
Chantler, Paul, Stwert, Peter, Basic Radio Journalism, ed Focal Press;
Coelho, Pedro, 2005, A TV de Proximidade e os Novos Desafios do Espaço Público, ed Livros Horizonte, Lisboa;
COELHO, Pedro, 2015, Jornalismo e Mercado, os novos desafios colocados à formação, Livros Labcom, disponível em
EUROPEAN PUBLISHERS COUNCIL e World Newsmedia Network, 2014, Global Media Trends Book, 3rd ed., UK, USA, Chicago, Illinois.
KOVACH, Bill e ROSENSTIEL, Tom, 2007, The Elements of Journalism, New York, Three Rivers Press.
Minkov, M., 1983, Jornalismo Radiofónico, Sindicato dos Jornalistas,Lx

Teaching method

Promote the participation of students, recommending previously bibliography and news content that will be discussed in class. Foster critical registration of students through ongoing discussion, focused on critical listening of Portuguese and foreign radio news content.
In class teaching

Evaluation method

60% of the evaluation consists of class participation associated with attendance plus presentations and other works. The final work (an average 5-minute report - maximum) and its presentation and discussion in the class is worth the remaining 40%.

Subject matter

1. Report as a noble genre of journalism: the specificity of radio reporting;
2. Sound as the essence of the report;
3. Critical discussion of short reports and news produced throughout the semester which are key elements for evaluation (class participation and journalistic evolution);
4. The positioning of Radio in the media map and the impact of new digital technologies
5. Critical analysis of Portuguese radio journalism.


Programs where the course is taught: