Masters in Migration, Inter-Ethnicity and Transnationalism
1) Students must demonstrate to mastery the conceptual vocabulary, the methodologies, the theories and the problematics in the realm of migration, inter-ethnicity and transnationalism;
2) In depth training of the ability to critically analyse the discourses, from within and from outside academia, focused on this domain;
3) In depth training of the ability to critically analyse professional practices in relevant social and institutional contexts (work, housing, justice, school, politics, local management, etc.);
4) Acquiring skills for relevant semi-autonomous research endeavour in this domain;
5) Acquiring the necessary instruments for carrying out rigorous diagnosis, the design of consistent intervention proposals, making scientifically sound advices, as well as the evaluation of projects of intervention and the monitoring of situations;
6) Increase the ability of integration and collaboration in inter-disciplinary teams.
Master (2nd Cycle)
Access to other programs
Access to study programmes leading to a doctoral degree.
This course is recognized for career progression purposes of recruitment for teachers of group 200, as provided in the Statute of Teaching Career.
Maria Dulce Pimentel
More information provided in the Call for Applications, available on www.fcsh.unl.pt
(see at https://www.fcsh.unl.pt/cursos/)
Duration: 2 years/4 semesters
Total credits: 120 credits (60 credits from curricular units + 60 credits from the non-teaching component)
Non-teaching component modes: Dissertation or Project Work or Internship with Report.
A full-time student is expected to accomplish 50 ECTS in all the curricular units offered. The student also carries out 10 credits as free-elective optional (from curricular units of postgraduate level at FCSH/NOVA, UNL, or other national or foreign institutions of higher education under agreement).
In the 3rd semester the student must attend a follow-up seminar for the non teaching component (5 ECTS).
The degree of mestre corresponds to the level 7 of the NQF and EQF-National Qualifications Framework/European Qualifications Framework.
Conditions of admittance
Please consult the application call available at www.fcsh.unl.pt
Academic Regulation for curricular units evaluation is available at intranet. A final grade, expressed as a number between 10 and 20 on a scale of 0 to 20 as well as its equivalent on the ECTS grading scale, is awarded for the post-graduate diploma. The final grade of the post-graduate diploma is the average, by credit, of the grades obtained in the course units in which the student obtained the 60 credits from the taught part of the Masters course. A final grade, expressed as a number between 10 and 20 on a scale of 0 to 20 as well as its equivalent on the ECTS grading scale, is awarded for the Masters degree. The final grade of the Masters degree will be the average of the final grade of the taught part of the course, weighted to 40%, and the grade awarded to the dissertation, project work or practical work experience report, weighted to 60%.
|722071074||Research Methodologies - 1st semester||10|
|722170168||Seminário de acompanhamento Dissertação/Estágio com Relatório/Trabalho de Projecto (not translated) - 1st semester||5|
|Elective option 1|
|722081034||Citizenship and Public Policy: How Immigrants fare between Power and Politics||10|
|722081041||From Slavery to Globalization: The Construction of Modernity - 2nd semester||10|
|722081128||Demography and International Migration - 2nd semester||10|
|722001029||Diasporas, transnational religions and identities - 1st semester||10|
|722081045||Human Rights and Cultural Rights||10|
|722081130||Ethni-Cities: cosmopolitanism, gender and diversities||10|
|722001035||Identity and Expressive Culture||10|
|722081129||Migration and Development - 2nd semester||10|
|722071133||Migration and Political Identity - 2nd semester||10|
|722081074||Nationalism and Racism in 20th Century Portugal: the Colonial Question - 1st semester||10|
|722081075||Migration Spaces: from Local Integration to Migratory Archipelago - 1st semester||10|
|722021030||Recent Trends in Ethnomusicology - 2nd semester||10|
|Elective option 2|
|722170169||Dissertation in Migration, Inter-Ethnicity and Transnationalism||55|
|722170170||Internship with Report in Migration, Inter-Ethnicity and Transnationalism||55|
|722170171||Project Work in Migration, Inter-Ethnicity and Transnationalism||55|