Portuguese Economics and Regional Development
a) To deliver knowledge about the evolution of the Portuguese economy during the 19th and 20th centuries;
b) To analyse the reaction of the Portuguese economy towards EU accession and globalisation. c) To discuss the present economic situation and future strategies ;
d) To understand the different regional plans and economic specialisations;
e) To provide competences on regional and local economic development.
Weekly - 3 letivas + 1 tutorial
Total - Available soon
Azevedo, J. L. (1988). Épocas de Portugal Económico. Lisboa: Clássica Editora.
Lopes, J. S. (1996). A Economia Portuguesa desde 1960. Lisboa: Gradiva.
Mateus, A. (1998). Economia Portuguesa desde 1910 (2.ªed.). Lisboa: Verbo.
Neves, J.C. & Rebelo, S. (2001). O Desenvolvimento Económico em Portugal. Lisboa: Bertrand .
OECD (Ed.) (2008). Portugal Territorial Review. Paris: OECD.
Expositive and participative teaching; discussion of case-studies; field work.
Written essay with oral presentation,followed by open discussion [(40% of the final grade].
Written test [60% of the final grade].
[According to the FCSH Assessment Standards, the proposed evaluation elements to introduce students in the first class may suffer readjustments, particularly in the percentage of each element.]
1) The major periods in the evolution of the Portuguese economy.
2) The manufaturing take-off (1946-1973).
3) The impact of the European accession (EFTA, the EEC, the relationship with Spain, the Euro).
4) The present economic situation: problems and challenges.
5) Regionalisation ideas and processes (the political-admnistrative organisation since 1820; the territorial momentum).
6) The development process in the Portuguese regions : Norte; Centro; Lisboa; Alentejo; Algarve; Açores; Madeira.