LANGUAGE STANDARDIZATION - 2nd semester
1. To be acquainted with the main issues related to language standardization.
2. To be acquainted with the main available Portuguese standardization tools and to be able to identify their characteristic features and their limitations.
3. To be able to select the most adequate instruments to perform different kinds of tasks in linguistic revision and consultancy (elaboration of reviews, correction proposals, ranking of alternatives, etc.).
4. To master search and use practices of those instruments appropriate to specific tasks in the domain of linguistic revision and consultancy.
5. To acquire skills of critical analysis that may enable the sustained substantiation of problem solving, correctly supported by the literature and the available resources.
Maria do Céu Caetano, Maria Sousa Lobo Gonçalves
Weekly - 3 letivas + 1 tutorial
Total - Available soon
Bechara, E. (1999) Moderna Gramática Portuguesa. Rio de Janeiro: Editora Lucerna
Azeredo, J. C. (2008) Gramática Houaiss da Língua Portuguesa. São Paulo: Publifolha.
Cunha, C. & Cintra, L. F. (1984) Nova Gramática do Português Contemporâneo. Lisboa: João Sá da Costa
Dicionário da Língua Portuguesa Contemporânea da Academia das Ciências de Lisboa (2001) (dir. João Malaca Casteleiro) Lisboa: Verbo
Houaiss, A.& Villar, M. S. (2009) Dicionário Houaiss da Língua Portuguesa. Rio de Janeiro: Objetiva / Instituto Antônio Houaiss de Lexicografia e Banco de Dados da Língua Portuguesa [com a nova ortografia da língua portuguesa]
Móia, T. (2004) Algumas áreas problemáticas para a normalização linguística disparidades entre o uso e os instrumentos de normalização. In Duarte, I. & Leiria, I. (eds.) Actas do XX Encontro Nacional da APL. Lisboa: APL /Colibri, 109-125.
Raposo, E. B. P. et al. (eds.) (2013) Gramática do Português. Lisboa: Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian, vols. I e II
The curricular units include the previously prepared participation of the students: oral presentations on syllabus topics, critical essays, presentation of results from previously accomplished tasks (e.g. practical work of linguistic revision, elaboration of reports on linguistic issues), critical reviews of different aspects of the instruments, proposals for problem solving.
Assessment: participation of the students in seminars sessions, including oral participations and the elaboration of different types of (short) papers (40%); 1 essay, supervised by the teachers, and its presentation and discussion (60%).
1. Language standardization:
2. Instruments for linguistic standardization
Definition and characterization of reference work and of other instruments. Criteria for selecting instruments in accordance with the users requirements.
2. Portuguese grammars
Description vs. prescription. Arguments and criteria for defining grammatical norm and correction. The (in)adequacy of the grammars as to the fulfilment of the users requirements. Areas of variation / contradiction between different grammars and / or other instruments and tools. Problem solving strategies. Problem solving strategies, including the use of corpora. Areas of difficulty and instability in Portuguese.
3. Portuguese dictionaries
Definition and criteria of the main Portuguese dictionaries. Dictionaries relevance of for the regulation of lexical usages.
Setting vs. adaptability of lexical choices.
4. Other instruments
Complementary use of standardizing tools and other resources and tools strategies and usage practices
Programs where the course is taught: