Strategic Planning - 1st semester
a) To master theorical aspects of strategic spatial planning;
b) To acquire knowledge about legal framework in the field of spatial policy;
c) To acquire knowledge about specific methodology applied to strategic planning: forms of diagnosis, SWOT analysis, structural analysis, building of scenarios and strategic development visions;
d) To understand the advantages of articulation between strategic approach and rationalist approach to territorial planning;
e) To identify problematic situations where strategic planning process is needed;
f) To identify the stakeholders involved and understand relations between them;
g) To understand the importance of public participation and develop methods for its organization;
h) To develop critical thinking about strategic territorial planning;
i) To develop the ability to built up a vision and come up with creative and feasible solutions;
j) To develop the ability to work in multidisciplinary teams.
João Carlos Ferreira de Seixas
Weekly - 3 letivas + 1 tutorial
Total - Available soon
Portuguese with teacher supervision in FL
Allmendiger, P. e Tewdwr-Jones, M (2005) Planning Futures. Routledge, Londres
Bourdin, Alain (2010) O Urbanismo depois da Crise. Livros Horizonte, Lisboa
Cerreta, concilio e Monno (2010) Making Strategies in Spatial Planning. Knowledge and Values. Springer, London
Félix Ribeiro, J. M. (2004). Places Strategic Foresight. A look at the future of the Lisbon Metropolitan Área. Lisboa: Departamento de Prospectiva e Planeamento.
Fonseca Ferreira, A. (2005). Gestão Estratégica de Cidades e Regiões. Lisboa: Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian.
Guell, J. M. (2006). Planificación Estratégica de Ciudades; Nuevos Instrumentos y Procesos. Barcelona: Editorial Reverté.
Guerra, I. (2002). Planeamento Estratégico das Cidades. Cidades, 1, 37-55.
Pujadas, R. & Font, J. (1998). Ordenación y Planificación Territorial. Madrid: Editorial Síntesis.
Seixas, João (2013) A Cidade na Encruzilhada. Edições Afrontamento, Porto
Seixas, João (2018) Projecções de Lisboa. Editorial Caleidoscópio, Lisboa
- Theoretical and expositive classes (debate).
- Discussion of strategic planning documents and academic textes.
- Presentation of best practices in strategic territorial planning.
- Working Groups.
1. Reading of texts and documents, with critical review and presentation with debate in class: 40% of the evaluation (4 scientific texts + 4 documents of strategic planning of cities / territories)
2. Development and presentation of group work: 60% of the evaluation. Two students for each group (exceptionally three). Each practical work will be centered on a territory and / or sector of the group´s choice. Parallel elaboration of a written essay on the territory and theme of group work. Each assignment should apply the concepts and analysis learned in class.
1) Strategy and Foresight: their origin and conceptual framework; Vectors of foresight;
2) Criticisms. The application of strategic planning to a territory.
3) Specific methods of strategic planning: building of scenarios, structural and SWOT analysis, the support to decision-making, stakeholders strategy. Pros and disadvantages.
4) Methodologies for the development of territorial strategic plans.
5) Analysis of case studies.
Programs where the course is taught: