Mediterranean Ecosystem Degradation - 1st semester
a) Recognize the specificity of Mediterranean ecosystems. b) Understand the different factors contributing to their identity. c) Apprehend the natural and socioeconomic contexts contributing to the differentiation within the Mediterranean Region. d) Evaluate the factors contributing to the degradation of this ecosystem. e) Analyse the weaknesses and potentialities of the Mediterranean Portugal. f) Develop and apply acquired knowledge to diagnose and mitigate degradation processes. g) Interpret critically and analytically texts and data.
Pedro Cortesão Casimiro
Weekly - 3 letivas + 1 tutorial
Total - Available soon
Portuguese with teacher supervision in FL
Allen, Harriet D. (2001). Mediterranean Ecogeography Ecogeography Series, Harlow: Pearson. Conacher, A.; Sala, M. (1998). Land Degradtion in Mediterranean Environemnts of the World Nature and Extent, Causes and Solutions, Londres: Willey. Brandt, C.J; Thornes, J.B. (1996). Mediterranean Desertification and Land Use, Londres: Wiley. M.; Batisse, M. (1989). Futures for the Mediterranean Bassin The Blue Plan, Nova Iorque: Oxford University Press. Grove, A.T.; Rackham, O. (2003). The Nature of Mediterraean Europe An Ecological History, New York: Yale University Press, 2003. Rundel, P.W.; Montenegro G.; Jaksic, F.M. (1998). Landscape Disturbance and Biodiversity in MediterraneanType Ecosystems, Nova Iorque: Springer.
Teaching method: Expositive and participative classes.
Evaluation method: Reading of thematic texts. Research work based on field work, references and document research resulting from autonomous work (100% evaluation). Oral presentation of the work.
1) Geographical context of the Mediterranean. 2) Spatial differentiations, characterization.3) Degradation processes of Mediterranean ecosystems, causes and consequences. 4) Weaknesses and potentialities of these ecosystems. 5) Use of natural resources. 6) Desertification. 7) Future perspectives.
Programs where the course is taught:
- Territorial Management - Environment and Natural Resources
- Territorial Management - Remote Sensing and Geographic Information Systems
- Territorial Management - Land Planning and Management
- Territorial Management - Land Use Planning and Development
- Masters in Geography Teaching in the 3rd cycle of Basic Education and in Secondary Education