Modernism and Modernisms in 20th Century Art - 1st semester
1) To provide students a thorough comprehension of the main problems that determine the national artistic production during the 20th century.
2) To elaborate on the concepts that historiographically define \"Modern\", \"Modernity\" and \"Modernism\" in Portuguese art.
3) To apply the acquired knowledge and to develop critical skills through the discussion of selected theoretical texts and the development of a short essay.
Margarida Brito Alves
Weekly - 3 letivas + 1 tutorial
Total - Available soon
AAVV (1982), Os Anos Quarenta na Arte Portuguesa, Lisboa, FCG
AAVV (1983), Depois do Modernismo. Lisboa: SNBA
AAVV (1994), Anos 60, Anos de Ruptura: Uma perspectiva da Arte Portuguesa nos Anos Sessenta, Lisboa: Livros Horizonte
AAVV (2001), O Surrealismo em Portugal,1934-1952, Lisboa: Museu do Chiado
ACCIAIUOLI, M. (1998), Exposições do Estado Novo, Lisboa: Livros Horizonte
ACCIAIUOLI, M. (2013), António Ferro. A Vertigem da Palavra, Lisboa: Bizâncio
FERNANDES, J., coord. (1997), Perspectiva: Alternativa Zero, Porto: Fundação de Serralves
FRANÇA, J.-A. (1991), A Arte em Portugal no século XX, Lisboa: Bertrand
This curricular unit is based on sessions that regularly combine an exposition component and a group debate that addresses each topic of the programme. The aim of this methodology is to deepen and consolidate the acquired knowledge and ensure the students critical and active involvement in the discussion of referential texts previously selected by the teacher.
The final evaluation is based both on the students performance concerning the preparation and participation in the regular class debates (30%), and on the development of an individual final essay (70%).
1) From Humorism to Modernism.
2) The dilution of Futurism. The 1920´s and the role of magazines in the introduction of a new sensibility. Brasileira do Chiado and its paintings.
3) The Independentes Exhibition in 1930 and architecture´s importance in that presentation.
4) Política do Espírito and Bom Gosto. The action of António Ferro in SPN/SNI. Modernism and Nationalism.
5) Architecture in the 1930s and 1940s. The new Lisbon and the architect´s role in its construction. The competitions for the monument in Sagres. The architectonical definition of Exposição do Mundo Português.
6) Neo-Realismo versus Surrealism. The Figuration / Abstraction tension.
7) 1960´s Ruptures. Ernesto de Sousa and Alternativa Zero (1977)
8) Depois do Modernismo exhibition (1983) and the 80´s and 90´s opening paths.