Education Systems and School Cultures - 2nd semester
This seminar focuses on a dual perspective of the relationship between education and development: the macro level, of contemporary mass education systems and their dynamics; the meso level, the institutional school settings expressed through their educational cultures (professional cultures, learning and knowledge organization, organizational cultures and relational cultures). It is intended that students:
a) acquire skills of analysis and interpretation of the scientific literature on the key areas of education sciences;
b) develop ways of thinking the problems of education in the diversity of their backgrounds (social, cultural and historical);
c) develop the capacities to reflect an integrated approach of the educational problems in the different scales of observation and analysis, from individual to organizational, from school organizations to macro-systems;
d) to master the fundamentals of the main theories of the social sciences and education studies.
Sílvia Maria de Almeida
Weekly - 1,5 letivas + 0,5 tutorial
Total - Available soon
Altbach, P. G, R. Arnove, & G. P. Kelly. Emergent Issues in Education. State UNYP, 1992.
Archer, Margaret. Social Origins of Educational Systems. SAGE, 1979.
Brockliss, Laurence. Mass Education and the Limits of State Building. Macmillan, 2012.
Educating All Children. The MIT Press, 2007.
Green, Andy. Education and State Formation. MacMillan, 1992.
Hallinan, M. T. Handbook of the Sociology of Education. Springer, 2006.
Halsey, A.H. Education: Culture, Economy and Society. Oxford UP, 1997.
Krücken, G., & Drori, G. S. (Eds.). (2009). World Society: The Writings of John W. Meyer. Oxford UP.
Richardson, J. G. Handbook of Theory and Research for the Sociology of Education. Greenwood P., 1986.
Soysal, Y. N., & Strang, D. (1989). Construction of the first mass education systems in nineteenth-century Europe. Sociology of Education, 277-288.
Tröhler, D., Popkewitz, T., & Labaree, D. (2011). Schooling and the Making of Citizens in the Long Nineteenth Century. Comparative Visions. Routledge.
Theoretical exposition by the teacher, alternating with exposure to texts by the students. Discussion of issues raised both by the teacher displays or exhibitions by the students.
The assessment includes the recension and presentation of a book chapter or article in writing and orally before the class, a work to be done in groups (20% of final grade), and an essay of about 5 pages on a topic suggested by the teacher, to be held individually (70% final grade). Students´ oral participation in the discussions in the classroom (10%).
1. History and theories of national education systems
1.1 Origins and foundations of state education
1.2 Comparative education of national education systems
1.3 Nationalization and denationalization of education systems and educational policies.
2. Massification, equity and social inequalities in education.
2.1 Theories of social reproduction in education
2.2 Massification and equity facing social inequalities.
3. School cultures and educational dynamics
3.1 Culture as an expression of school knowledge: curriculum, pedagogy and assessment in teachers´ professional cultures.
3.2 Organizational culture and leadership systems.
3.3 Relational Culture and educational communities.
Programs where the course is taught:
- Teaching English in the 3rd Cycle of Basic Education and in Secondary Education in the specialization area of German
- Teaching English and Foreign Language in the 3rd Cycle of Basic Education and in Secondary Education in the specialization area of Spanish
- Teaching English and Foreign Language in the 3rd Cycle of Basic Education and in Secondary Education in the specialization area of French
- Teaching Portuguese in the 3rd Cycle of Basic Education and in Secondary Education in the specialization area of German
- Teaching Portuguese in the 3rd Cycle of Basic Education and in Secondary Education in the specialization area of Spanish
- Teaching Portuguese in the 3rd Cycle of Basic Education and in Secondary Education in the specialization area of English
- Masters in Teaching of Music in Basic Education (2nd cycle of Basic Education)
- Masters in Teaching Philosophy in Secondary Education
- Masters in Geography Teaching in the 3rd cycle of Basic Education and in Secondary Education
- Masters in Teaching History in the 3rd Cycle of Basic Education and in Secondary Education
- Masters in English Teaching in the 1st Cycle of Basic Education
- Masters in Teaching English in the 3rd Cycle of Basic Education and in Secondary Education
- Masters in Teaching Portuguese in the 3rd Cycle of Basic Education and in Secondary Education