Portuguese Grammar and Teaching - 1st semester
a) To acquire and deepen knowledge on Portuguese grammar, covering its various domains;
b) To develop skills enabling the analysis of phonological, morphological, syntactic and semantic phenomena of Portuguese;
c) To identify linguistic and discursive properties of different kinds of texts;
d) To be acquainted with the adequate theoretical and methodological instruments required for the use of diverse reference tools (textbooks, grammars and dictionaries, among others) in the context of Portuguese teaching practices.
e) To master techniques for the design and creation of didactic instruments.
Maria do Céu Caetano, Maria Teresa Brocardo
Weekly - 3 letivas + 1 tutorial
Total - Available soon
Duarte, Inês (2000) Língua Portuguesa. Instrumentos de Análise. Lisboa: Universidade Aberta.
Kumaravadivelu, B. (2003) Beyond Methods: Macrostrategies for Language Teaching. New Haven : Yale University Press.
Larsen-Freeman, Diane & Anderson, Marti (2011) Techniques and Principles in Language Teaching. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Martins, Ana Maria & Carrilho, Ernestina (2016) Manual de Linguística Portuguesa. Berlin: De Gruyter.
Mateus, Maria Helena M. et al. (2003) Gramática da Língua Portuguesa. Lisboa: Caminho.
Peres, João; Móia, Telmo (1996) Áreas Críticas da Língua Portuguesa. Lisboa: Caminho.
Raposo, Eduardo Paiva et al. (2013) Gramática do Português. Lisboa: Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian.
Richards, J. C.; Rodgers, T. S. (2001) Approaches and methods in language teaching. 2nd ed. New York: Cambridge University Press.
The curricular unit has a seminar format, therefore students will be encouraged to participate actively in all sessions, intending also to promote their progressive autonomy in the development of personal work (bibliographical research, production of critical analyses, formulation of problems and proposals for their resolution, etc.).
The topics proposed for study and discussion are scheduled at the beginning of each semester and students will be instructed to previously prepare their work for each seminar.
In tutorials, students will have a regular personalized monitoring.
Evaluation: participation in the seminarssessions, namely by presenting critical analyses of their readings, discussing subjects and elaborating autonomously practical exercises in order to apply their knowledge (30%); written individual essay (70%).
1. Teaching grammar: why study/teach grammar? Different types of grammars.
2. Oral and written language: transcribing the oral; criteria of Portuguese orthography.
3. The sound system of European Portuguese; phonological processes.
4. Specificities of nominal and verbal inflectional processes; word-formation processes (derivation and compounding).
5. Syntactic and semantic topics - word classes; clause elements and syntactic functions; simple and complex sentences; reference construction and nominal expressions; tense, aspect and modality markers in Portuguese.
6. Language, norm and variation: variation parameters; standardization issues.
Programs where the course is taught:
- Teaching Portuguese in the 3rd Cycle of Basic Education and in Secondary Education in the specialization area of German
- Teaching Portuguese in the 3rd Cycle of Basic Education and in Secondary Education in the specialization area of English
- Masters in Teaching Portuguese in the 3rd Cycle of Basic Education and in Secondary Education