- Familiarity with databases and data organization in Bioinformatics
- Basic notions of bioinformatics techniques and tools for
(1) DNA and protein sequence analisyus
(2) Analysis and classification of protein structure and interactions
(3) scripting, data parsing and database organization and querying
- Provide a broad understanding of bioinformatics techniques, allowing and encouraging each student to pursue a deeper exploration of those areas that interest them the most.
Ludwig Krippahl, Pedro Manuel Corrêa Calvente Barahona
Weekly - 5
Total - 48
"Bioinformatics – A Practical Guide to the Analysis of Genes and Proteins (2nd Edition), Baxevanis A.D. &Ouelette B.F.F., Eds. John Wiley & Sons, 2001 · “Structural Bioinformatics” Philip E. Bourne (Editor), Helge Weissig (Editor) (2003) · Páginas da web adequadas
Lectures and tutorials, introductory exercises and applications of the tools and services covered in class.
Evaluation consists on tests and essays, with a theoretical essay covering a specific technique or tool and a practical assignment in which the student must improve and apply their skills to a practical problem. Each student can choose the theme and subject of their assignments, provided they are relevant and approved by the teacher.
-What is bioinformatics
-Sequences: data organization, comparison, processing, databases and querying.
-Phiyogenetics, sequence alignment and evolution.
-Identification and classification of conserved sequence motifs.
-Protein structure: data formats, databases, classification, homology modelling, threading, interactions and docking
-Basic scripting techniques for processing and organizing data.