Nonlinear Analysis of Structures
To provide students with advanced knowledge on nonlinear solid behavior and nonlinear analysis of structures.
João Carlos Gomes Rocha de Almeida
Weekly - Available soon
Total - 21
- P.B. Lourenço, Métodos Computacionais na Mecância dos Sólidos Não-Linear, Universidade do Minho, 1999.
- J.T. Oden, Finite Elements of Nonlinear Continua, Dover, 2006.
- V.V. Novozhilov, Foundations of the Nonlinear Theory of Elasticity, Dover, 1999.
- L.M. Kachanov, Fundamentals of the Theory of Plasticity, Dover, 2004.
- W. Prager, An Introduction to Plasticity, Mac Millan, 1963.
- K. Maekawa, Nonlinear Mechanics of Reinforced Concrete, Taylor and Francis, 2003.
- J.M. Berthelot, Composite Materials - Mechanical Behaviour and Structural Analysis, ed. Springer, 1999.
- J.G. Teng, J.F. Chen, S.T. Simth, L. Lam, FRP-strengthened RC structures, John Wiley & Sons, 2002.
- J.W. Bull, Numerical Analysis and Modelling of Composite Materials, ed. Blackie Academic & Professional, 1996.
- J. Červenka, R. Pukl, V. Červenka, Superior Material Models for Numerical Simulation of Concrete Cracking under Severe Conditions, EUROMECH Colloquium 460, Numerical Modelling of Concrete Cracking, Austria, 2005.
- Weekly meetings between lecturer and students, for introduction and development of concepts, assessment of the progress made and presentation and analysis of proposed exercises.
- Evaluation based on individual activity report, focusing on the presentation of results to the problems suggested.
- Causes of non linearity. Nonlinear elasticity. Plasticity, accumulated damage and fracture.
- Theory, modeling and calculation of structures with material or geometric non linearity. Strategies for resolution of nonlinear equations of equilibrium. Introduction to the nonlinear dynamic analysis of structures.
- Applications to concrete structures, with or without external reinforcement through plated polymers. Material behavior under monotonic, cyclical and dynamic loads. Effect of external confinement in elements subjected to compression. Steel-concrete adhesion and modeling of bond-slip between steel and concrete and between FRP reinforcement and concrete. Crack modeling. Representation of material aging in the behavior of reinforced concrete elements.