Advanced Technologies for Building Construction
The objectives of this curricular units is that students, trough analysis and discussion, achieve knowledge, skills and competences to be at the international state of the art level for eco-efficiente building materials, construction products and technologies from historic heritage to new buildings, in terms of optimized complete systems for walls, floors and roofs.
Fernando Manuel dos Anjos Henriques, Maria Paulina Santos Forte Faria Rodrigues
Weekly - Available soon
Total - Available soon
Knowledge on common building material, construction products and technologies.
Articles of several international scientific journals, namely:
-Construction and Building Materials
-Materials and Structures
-J. Building Engineering
-Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering
-J. Cleaner Production
-Energy and Buildings
-Buildings and Environment
-Construção Magazine (Publindustria)
- Conservar Património
Documents from the Portuguese National Laboratory for Civil Engineering (LNEC). Papers from conference proceedings. Codes, standards. Research works.
Ther language can also be English.
The learning will be based on the most recent knowledge of the national and international community, and compatibilized with uptodate regulations (mecanical performance, thermal, acoustics, fire safety and environment). It will be tutorial and with seminars. There is a Final evaluation.
The final evaluation is obtained by the presentation and discussion of a monography within the syllabus of the curricular unit, whenever possible framed in the Thesis plan of each student.
1. Compatibility between supporting elements with complementary layers.
2. Construction elements composition and their complementary layers – of thermal, acoustic and fire insulation, waterproofing, vapor barrier, regularization, shape, separation, filter, adherence and coating – and specific requirements. Strong focus on construction material, products and technologies with lower embodied energy and energy consumption.
3. Specific characteristics presented by materials that can be applied in each layer.
4. Maintenance, repair and rehabilitation of the building elements.
5. Capacity to analyze and decide for the most efficient building elements design and construction, tacking into account the functional requirements.