Portuguese Gastronomy and Traditional Products
The aim with this course is to familiarize students with the concepts of traditional product and traditional cuisine and make them aware of their economical, social and cultural importance.
It also aims to familiarize students with a variety of traditional products.
At the end students should understand the concepts, identify certain products and be familiar with the concepts of Protected Geographical Indication and Protected Designation of Origin and protection processes, as well as some of the products with protected names.
Maria Paulina Estorninho Neves da Mata
Weekly - Available soon
Total - 21
- Guia dos Produtos de Qualidade, Ministério da Agricultura, do Desenvolvimento Rural e das Pescas, 2007
- Valagão, M. M., Tradição e Inovação Alimentar. Ed. Colibri / INIAP, 2006
- Modesto, M.L.; Praça, A.; Calvet, N., Festas e Comeres do Povo Português, Verbo, 1999
- Modesto, M. L., Cozinha Tradicional Portuguesa, Verbo, 2001
- Quitério, J., Livro de Bem Comer – Crónicas de Gastronomia Portuguesa, Assírio & Alvim, 1987
The subjects are taught through:
- Theoretical introduction to the various issues involving exposure, and using the data show
- Theoretical-practical sessions with tasting and analysis of a variety of traditional products.
- Use of website with study material.
Individual written essay.
Introduction to the concepts of "Gastronomy" and "Traditional Products". Introduction to the concepts of "Designation of Origin", PDO/PGI, DO/GI and TSG. Definition of product families that can be certified.
Gastronomy in its geographical and cultural dimension. The Portuguese gastronomy and its characterization:
- Origins and influences
- The influence of Portuguese gastronomy worldwide.
The regional cuisines in Portugal. Tour through the gastronomic map of Portugal.
Tasting and analysis of Traditional Products in its different "families": cheeses, sausages, sweets, preserves, wines and spirits.
Programs where the course is taught: