To comprehend the diversity of microbial life and the relationships between the main groups of microorganisms in an evolutionary perspective, as well as metabolic and structural diversity.
To learn the basic laboratory techniques of microbiology: optical microscopy; microbial culture and aseptic technique; isolation of microorganisms.
Paula Maria Theriaga Mendes Bernardo Gonçalves
Weekly - 3
Total - 30
Basic principles of biochemistry and molecular biology.
- M.T. Madigan et al., “Brock Biology of Microorganisms”, 12th ed., Pearson , 2009 (or other editions of the same book)
Lectures will consist in power point presentations of the subjects, aimed to be interactive and stimulate discussion.
During Lab sessions the students will learn and practice basic techniques used to culture and quantify microorganisms, microscopy and isolation of microrganisms from natural samples.
1. During the semester two written evaluation moments will be carried out. In each of these moments a theoretical test and a practical test will be carried out, both marked from 1 to 20 independently. Thus, at the end of the semester each student will have two marks related to practical tests and two marks related to theoretical tests.
2. For approval in the CU it will be necessary to obtain a final grade of 9.5 or higher, calculated as follows:
Final Grade = 0.5xMT + 0.35xMP + 0.15xPL
MT- Average of the theoretical tests; the average of the gardes obtained in the theoretical tests must be higher than or equal to 9.5 to sucessfully conclude the CU.
MP-Mean of practical tests; there is no minimum grade to obtain approval for the average of the practical tests. However, the components of the final grade for practical and theoretical tests must be at least 8.1 to sucessfully conclude the CU (ie 0.5xMT + 0.35xMP> = 8.1)
PL-Laboratory Practice; grade assigned by the teacher according to the student''''''''s performance during the practical classes; the grade in this component must be greater than or equal to 10 to sucessfully conclude the CU.
DURING TESTS STUDENTS CAN NOT USE ELECTRONIC DEVICES, SUCH AS CELL PHONES, CALCULATORS OR OTHER.
The recover exam focuses on the entire theoretical-practical component.
3. Frequency - To obtain frequency the student will have to attend the practical laboratory classes (max. Absences: 2).
4. Improvement of grades- Grade improvement follows the General Norms of Evaluation of the FCT / UNL. It is not possible to improve the laboratory component.