Provide the basic knowledge for the proper understanding of the biochemical and biological processes , particularly in terms of the cellulr compartimentation, regulation and function of the central metabolic pathways.
Carlos Alberto Gomes Salgueiro
Weekly - 4
Total - 58
LEHNINGER PRINCIPLES OF BIOCHEMISTRY
Nelson, D.L., & Cox, M.M.
W.H. Freeman and Company, San Francisco, 5th ed. 2008
PRINCIPLES OF BIOCHEMISTRY
Voet, D., Voet, J.G. & Pratt, C.W.
John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 4th ed. 2012
W. H. Freeman and Company, San Francisco. 7th Ed. 2012.
Lectures (02:00, 14 weeks) and theoretical-practical lessons (03:00, 5 weeks), with the help of slides in Powerpoint; the talks are part of the teaching programme and the discussion and resolution of problems and questions are about matters of discipline. Laboratory sessions (03:00, 5 weeks) in groups of 3 to 4 students.
I. General Conditions of participation, frequency and evaluation of UC
1. The UC of Biochemistry includes:
- theoretical lessons (2 hours per week);
- theoretical and practical classes (five sessions of 03:00)
- laboratory classes (five sessions of 03:00)
2. The participation in all laboratory classes is mandatory.
3. The evaluation process includes evaluation of the theoretical and practical parts of the curricular unit (UC).
4. Students without frequency on the practical part of the UC are excluded from the assessment of the theoretical component of the UC.
5. Extraordinary repetition sessions of laboratory work are not expected.
6. A student with frequency on the practical part but without approval in the theoretical part of the UC will retain the frequency of the practical part of the UC during for the subsequent academic years.
II. Obtaining frequency
7. The frequency of the practical part of the UC consists in the laboratory work and in its previous preparation and also in the elaboration of the respective questionnaires by each group of up to 3 students.
8. The ongoing assessment of the practical part of the UC includes:
-Capacity for the implementation of practical work in the laboratory and its appreciation by the lecturer in charge during the laboratory session.
-Assiduity and respect of the deadlines in the delivery of assignments.
-Delivery of the analysis of results and respective questionnaires.
9. The questionnaires of the practical work are responsibility of each group. The detection of plagiarism in a questionnaire, particularly on other quizzes of the UC, will result in the loss of frequency for all the members of the group.
III. Evaluation of the theoretical and practical parts of the UC
10. Ongoing evaluation of the UC consists in the execution of three tests.
11. The theorectical tests (two) contributes with 80% to the total grade. The remaining 20% correspond to practical test that focus on the practical work carried out in the laboratory in the current academic year. For approval, the classification in the teorecthical component must be equal to or greater than 9.5. Previous practical grades are valid for the current year.
12. The exam does not include practical questions and keeps the percentages of 80%. The remaining 20% (practical component) correspond to the gradeobtained in the practical test. For approval, the classification in this exam must be equal to or greater than 9.5.
13. The students with approval on the ongoing evaluation (tests) may improve the grade in the exam. To do so, they should follow the current regulations. Also in this case, The exam does not include practical questions and keeps the percentages of 80%. The remaining 20% (practical component) correspond to the grade obtained in the practical test.
IV. Approval and final grade
14. Only students with frequency at the UC will be assigned a final grade.
15. Students will obtain approval at the UC provided they have a final rating equal to or greater than 9.5.
1. Macromolecules - Fibrous and globular proteins.
2. Methods of separation and characterization of proteins.
3. Examples of correlation structure-function in proteins.
4. Topics of enzymology.
5. Biological membranes. Biological transport topics.
6. Metabolism. General characteristics of metabolism. Bioenergetics. Glycolysis and gluconeogenesis. Fermentations. The tricarboxylic acid cycle. Mitochondrial electronic transfer and oxidative phosphorylation.
1. Quantification of protein by visible spectroscopy.
2. Separation of proteins by column chromatography: separation of hemoglobin and potassium ferricyanide by molecular exclusion chromatography. Observation of different forms of hemoglobin.
3. Separation of proteins by column chromatography: separation of the protein cytochrome c and catalase by ion-exchange chromatography.
4. Characterization of β-glucosidase enzyme produced by the fungus Penicillium glandicola
5. Determination of the formal potential of oxidation-reduction of cytochrome c.
Programs where the course is taught: