Processes, Development and Monitoring
It is intended that students acquire a current view of the role of Green Chemistry and Biotechnology in the development and optimization of processes in the chemical and pharmaceutical industries.
Luísa Maria da Silva Pinto Ferreira
Weekly - 2
Total - 25
Book - Biocatalysts and Enzyme Technology, by Klaus Buchholz, Volker Kasche and Uwe Bornscheuer, Wiley-VCH, 2005
Scientific papers and other teaching material supplied to students.
The teaching of UC PDM will be conducted through lectures that take place throughout the 14 weeks of the semester with a weekly charge of 2 lecture hours.
The themes proposed in the program will be presented to students through slides, discussion of articles and through a work that will be performed by students in groups within the topics of UC. These papers will be presented at the end of the semester by students and discussed with peers and teachers.
Suggested distribution of program: (considering total of 13 weeks of classes)
- week for presentation.
- 4 weeks for part 1 (7am to 1pm classes and mini-test at the end of the module Mini test conducted in the classroom itself.)
- 4 weeks for part 2 (7am to 1pm classes and mini-test at the end of the module Mini test conducted in the classroom itself.)
- 4 weeks for part 3 (h classes and 1h for mini-test at the end of the module Mini test conducted in the classroom itself.)
3 mini - tests to be carried throughout the semester . Each quiz is worth 1/3 of the final mark. There is a minimum score for each test , however, the average of the three tests must be equal or higher than 10 .
Situation 1 : The student has rank equal to or higher than 10 in 3 mini - tests ( MT ). In this case the student does not need to sit the examination and will be with a classification = (1/3*MT1 + 1/3*MT2 + 1/3*MT3)
Situation 2 : The student has lower rating than 10 points in 3 mini - tests ( MT ). In this case the student will need to sit the examination and will be with a classification of = exame mark
Chemical industry - importance and impact on society today
History and development of the chemical industry.
Sources of energy and chemicals for the chemical industry .
Development in the fine chemicals industry ( and the atomic factor and efficiency, the importance of scale-up , operations and permitted and prohibited reagents , safety considerations d )
The role of green chemistry in developing sustainable industrial processes
Green Chemistry and Biotechnology in the Chemical and Pharmaceutical Industry
- Biotechnology in the service of Chemical Industry
- Replacement steps of chemical synthesis by biotechnological processes using biocatalysts ( retrosynthesis biocatalytic )
- The Role of Synthetic Biology in the Chemical and Pharmaceutical Industry
- Environmental Biotechnology and Resource Recovery from Industrial Residues
3 . Monitoring chemical processes
Brief notions of:
a) Methods of sample preparation : solid , liquid and gaseous matrices
b ) analytical methodologies analytical control : gas and liquid chromatography hyphenated to mass spectrometry
c ) Validation of analytical methods
d ) trace Analysis
Programs where the course is taught: