Introduction to Materials Science and Engineering
Introduction to Materials Science and Engineering introduces concepts of the different types of materials to the 1st year students of the Materials Engineering degree. Throughout the graduation course, these materials will be studied in detail.
Maria do Carmo Henriques Lança
Weekly - 3
Total - 48
Knowledge of Physics, Chemistry and Maths fundamentals.
- "Principles of Materials Science and Engineering", William F. Smith, McGraw-Hill International Editions, 1990.
- "The Science and Engineering of Materials", D.R. Askeland e P.P. Phulé, Thomson, 2003.
Lab classes or guided visits to DCM labs.
Attendance to seminaries done by DCM professors and by former students (now working in the industry).
Compulsory attendance of lab classes, visits and seminaries
1 mini-test (T);
1 questionary (Q)
1 monography (M);
1 laboratory session report (RT) + discussion (D) = TP.
To pass the course is needed to:
TP = 0.6 RT + 0.2 D + 0.15 Q score a mark equal or superior to 10
Final Mark (FM) score a mark equal or superior to 10
FM = 0.35T + 0.3M + 0.35TP
- Introduction: Importance of materials in the nowadays society;
- Atomic structure and atomic bonding;
- Fundamentals (optical, electrical, structural and chemical) of:
- Metallic materials;
- Polymeric materials;
Programs where the course is taught: