Medical Imaging Methods
Mastery of the basic principle of operation of the following medical imaging techniques: X-ray, Computed Axial Tomography (CAT); Scintigraphy; tomography single photon emission tomography (SPECT), positron emission tomography (PET), Ultrasound Imaging.
Application of the basic image processing techniques and image reconstruction by Radon transform. These techniques will be developed by using MatLab.
Ricardo Nuno Pereira Verga e Afonso Vigário
Weekly - 4
Total - 56
- Medical Imaging Systems; A Maier, S Steidl, V Christlein and J Hornegger (Eds.); Springer Open, 2018
- Biomedical Image Analysis; RM Rangayyan; CRC Press, 2005
- Digital Imaging Processing; RC Gonzalez and RE Woods; Prentice-Hall, 2002
- Digital Imaging Processing using Matlab; RC Gonzalez, RE Woods and SL Eddins; Prentice-Hall – New Jersey, 2004
- Medical Imaging Signals and Systems; JL Prince , J Links ; Prentice Hall - 2005)
- An Introduction to the Principles of Medical Imaging; C Guy and D Ffytche; Imperial College Press – London, 2000
- Medical Physics: Imaging; J Pope; Heinmann Educational Publishers – Oxford, 1999
- Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering; BH Brown, RH Smallwood, DC Barber, PV Lawford and SD Hose; Institute of Physics Publishing– Bristol, 1999
- Introduction to Biomedical Engineering; J Enderle, S Blanchard and J Bronzino; Academic Press – SanDiego, 2000
In the lectures is presented the concepts, of the various topics that are part of the program of this course. For each topic, wherever possible, is given concrete examples of the field of Biomedical and Medical.
In the first half of the practical lectures, students apply image processing tools, in Matlab, to the analysis of medical images, following a set of written guidelines. In the second, using various computer simulators of x-ray, tomography and ultrasound imaging, students test depences of said techniques to various imaging parameters.
Assessment with two components, based on:
- Parte prática/frequência: software to answer to guidelines of image analysis + presentation and discussion of a project based on medica image simulators (frequency attained if mean > 9.5);
- Theoretical: 2 tests, carried out throughout the semestre. (to pass, this part of the evaluation needs to be > 9.5).
The final grade will be calculated using the formula:
(Final grade) = (tests)x0.7 + (frequency)x0.3
Digital image and image processing
X ray image, Computadorized tomography (CT) and the filtered back projection algorithms
Nuclear imaging: Single photon emission tomography (SPECT) and positron emission tomography (PET)