Food Technology and Safety
Food production has become, in many circumstances, an act so industrialized as possible, worrying those responsible with the more quantitative aspects of the process than with product quality. The complexity of food chains is increasing, resulting in many interactions which may be the basis of risks to consumers, whose control will thus become more difficult. Food Security so requires an integrated and responsible approach, which stretches from production to consumers in a manner consistent, effective and dynamic.
- To assess the quality of the food value, either raw or processed products, so as to contribute thereby to ensure, together with other technicians, security of food consumption and health;
- To intervene in the productive processes of the food industries, seeking to optimize the process itself and minimize the environmental impacts arising from it;
- Adequate training to the design of new products, food and others, and the reformulation of current products;
- To intervene in the processes of standardization and certification of products and systems for production and processing of products and raw food;
- Management of emissions, effluents and wastes and other disorders arising in processes of production, processing and distribution in food industries.
Level of production, quality control and food security in agro-food industries and to develop new products or improve existing ones. Tasks of research and development and consulting services in Technology and / or Food Safety.
Master (2nd Cycle)
Access to other programs
Access to third cycles
Ana Luísa Almaça da Cruz Fernando
1063,47 Euros/year or 7000,00 Euros/year (for foreign students).
"Compressed" schedule - a day and a half per week (thursday afternoon, friday full day) and after working-hours schedule (monday do thursday after 18.00 pm).
Duration: 2 years
Credits: 120 ECTS
Mandatory scientifc areas
|Food Technology / Food Safety / Chemistry / Food Quality / Chemical Engineering||TA / SA / Q / QA / EQ||42||-|
|Any Scientific Area||QAC||-||6 a)|
a) 6 ECTS in courses chosen by the student on a list approved annually by the Scientific Council of FCT / UNL, which includes the unity of all scientific areas of FCT/UNL
Conditions of admittance
The evaluation is done according the Regulamento de Avaliação de Conhecimentos da FCT (Despacho 34/2012).
The curricular units (UC) predicted a format of continous assessment, wich will include a minimum of three evaluation times, distributed along the semesters and that will be concluded till the end of teaching classrooms. The evaluation of UCs of the Insert Period is regulated by a separated decision of the Executive Council of FCT.
The UC Master Dissertation comprises a public presentation and discussion of the dissertation work.
|10756||Food Quality I||6.0|
|8910||Master Thesis on Technology and Food Safety||42.0|
|10761||Food Quality II||6.0|
|10762||Management Systems for Food Security||6.0|