Design Theory and Methodologies
To know the main approaches to support the development of engineering design.
António José Freire Mourão, João Manuel Vicente Fradinho
Weekly - 4
Total - Available soon
- Axiomatic Design lecture notes (2019) (Elements from João Fradinho classes)
- Park, G.-J. (2007). Analytic Methods for Design Practice. London: Springer-Verlag
- Fradinho J, Mourão A, Gabriel-Santos A, Cavique M, Gonçalves-Coelho A. An axiomatic design interpretation on the use of response surface methodology to solve coupled designs. Proc. ASME 2015 International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition. 2015 .
- Other elements provided by teachers.
- All students are admitted to the examination.
- Continuous assessment: presentation of two group works and a test.
-1st presentation - week of 13 April (25% of the final classification)
-2nd presentation - week of 11 May (25% of final classification)
- Realization of the test - 5-June (50% of the final classification)
- Exemption of examination: weighted average ≥ 10.
- The test and the exam have 2 hours of duration and are without consultation. The use of mobile phones or other devices that can be connected to the Internet is not allowed during its execution.
Analysis and synthesis in engineering design.
The main stages of the design development process.
The principles of design of N.P. Suh (Axiomatic Design).
The Theory of Inventing Problem Solving (TRIZ/TIPS).
The Quality Function Deployment - QFD.
The Design Structure Matrix - DSM.
The Decision Matrix.
The Systematic Design of Pahl & Beitz.
Some current paradigms of engineering design: Life cycle; Concurrent Engineering; Design for X (DFX); the Kano''''''''s space.