Legislation and Consumer Protection
Acquisition of knowledge, ability and expertise (1) Fundamental concepts on consumer law; (2) Basis for a consumer policy defense; (3) National, EU and international legislation.
Ana Luísa Almaça da Cruz Fernando, Benilde Simões Mendes
Weekly - 2
Total - 28
National, EU and international legislation.
The learning methodologies include an oral theme presentation by the teacher and its discussion and critical analysis, during or at the presentation´s ending. The students are called to take the critical remarks upon themselves and it is encouraged the development of a students’ proactive and deepened participation in the themes`s discussion I is also encouraged the documental research and its application, in order to consolidate the acquired knowledge and the individual and group´s presentation and critical reasoning.
According the FCT´s assessment rules the curricular unit has a continuous assessment realized at two assessed times. Each assessed time is constituted by an individual test, each oene with a 50% contribution to final classification. The non-approved students do a final resort exam.
The curricular unit approval, continuous assessment or final exam, requires a minimum classification of 9.5 values (out of 20 values).
1. Definition of Consumer. Political basic principles of the defense of Consumers.
2. EU treaty. Community legislation on food domain.
3. Codex Alimentarius. Green Paper on Food Safety. White Paper on Food Safety.
4. Rights granted to consumers in the national legal system. Law of Bases for Consumer Protection.
5. General objectives of food safety policy. Regulation (EC) nº 178/2002.
Programs where the course is taught: