Transport Phenomena II
Understanding of mass transfer fundamentals. Mathematical formulation of mass transfer problems for different geometries.Evaluation of diffusion coefficients and mass transfer coefficients.
Isabel Maria Rola Coelhoso
Weekly - 4
Total - 70
Cussler, E.L., " Diffusion: mass transfer in fluid systems", 3rd ed., Cambridge University Press, UK, 2009.
Bird, R.B.; Stewart, W.E.; Lightfoot, E. N. Transport Phenomena. 2nd ed. J Wiley & Sons, 2007.
Welty, J.R; Wicks, C.E.; Wilson, R.E.; Rorrer G.L. Fundamentals of momentum, heat and mass transfer. 5th ed. John Wiley &Sons, Inc, N.Y., 2010.
- Fundamentals of mass transfer. Definitions of concentrations, velocity and flux; Fick’s first law. Nernst-Planck equation. Diffusion coefficients; Methods for estimating diffusion coefficients. Diffusion of ionic species. Multicomponent diffusion.
- Differential equations of mass transfer. Boundary conditions. Steady state molecular diffusion; Diffusion through a stagnant film; Equimolal counterdiffusion;
- Diffusion with heterogeneous chemical reaction. Pseudo steady state diffusion.
- Unsteady state molecular diffusion. Stefan-Maxwell equations. Analytical solutions of Fick’s secondlaw.
- Convective mass transfer; Dimensional Analysis; Concentration boundary layer; Models and analogies of Reynolds and Chilton-Colburn; Empirical correlations.
- Interphase mass transfer; Equilibrium gas- liquid and liquid- liquid; Two-resistance theory; Overall and individual mass transfer coefficients.
- Diffusion with homogeneous chemical reaction; Hatta number; First and second order reactions.
Programs where the course is taught: