Genomics and Molecular Evolution
Understand the basic mechanisms of molecular evolution. Understand how to search and retrieve sequence data from public databases. Know the basic aspects of Next Generation Sequencing technologies and the main steps involved in genome assembly and in genome analyses for population, comparative and functional genomics.
Ana Rita Fialho Grosso, José Paulo Nunes de Sousa Sampaio
Weekly - 4
Total - 38
Vandamme, AM. 2009. Basic concepts of molecular evolution. In “The Phylogenetic Handbook”, Cambridge Univ Press
Descent with modification (Reading the story of DNA, L Bromham, 2008)
- Biological and Molecular Evolution.
- Basic concepts about treatment and sequence search.
- Genome Evolution: detection of horizontal transfer.
- Construction of molecular phylogenies.
- Molecular and Functional Genomics: genes, gene expression and function.
- Gene characterization: genes, genomics coordinates, transcripts, proteins, comparatica genomics, genetic variants.
- Molecular and Functional Genomics: high-throughput sequencing technologies.
- Search and interpretation of transcriptome data.
- Genomics in Biomedicine
- Genomics in cancer: mutations, chromsomal alterations, transcripts, proteins, clinic impact.
- Genomics: data, information, knowledge.
- Basic concepts for data integration, gathering information and results presentation.