Sampling and Estimation
- To cover basic theoretical and practical aspects of survey sampling
- Familiarize participants with sampling terminology and the general objectives of sample surveys
- Presenting the classical Statistical sampling methods, conditions and situations where each is appropriate
- Provide practice in applying the sampling methods discussed in class and the calculations of sample dimensions, desired estimates and their measures of precision
- Be able to apply new knowledge in a daily work environment
José António de Almeida Pinheiro
Weekly - Available soon
Total - Available soon
Portuguese. If there are Erasmus students, classes will be taught in English
Perfect knowledge of descriptive statistics and inductive statistics.
?On September 15, 2018, Saturday, from 14 to 18 PM an extra course covering the essentials of statistics from the perspective of Sampling and Estimation will be held.
The course is optional but the subjects cannot be revisited during the classes.
This course is designed to put at same level students' statistical knowledge, given their diverse backgrounds.
- William G. Cochran (1977) Sampling Techniques, 3-rd Ed. New York: Wiley, ISBN 0-471-16240-X
- Carl-Erik Särndal, Bengt Swensson, Jan Wretman (1992) Model Assisted Survey Sampling. New York: Springer Verlag, ISBN 0-387-97528-4
- Carl-Erik Särndal, Sixten Lundström (2005) Estimation in Surveys with Nonresponse. Chichester: Wiley, ISBN 0-470-01133-5
- Pinheiro J, Coelho, P et all, As Sondagens (2016), Escolar Editora, ISBN 9789725925140.
Theoretical and practical courses in EN.
Midterm test and final exam.
· General framework, notation and terminology
· Simple random sampling
· Stratified random sampling
· Cluster sampling
· Two-stage sampling
· Estimation of a ratio
· Use of auxiliary information
· Estimation in domains
Programs where the course is taught: