Economic and Competitive Intelligence
The aim of this course is understanding what is the Competitive Intelligence, its relation to the Strategy and Marketing, and its use for greater overall efficiency. Students should be able to integrate tools, techniques, and methodologies to understand the key behavior of a given competitor in the market.
This integration will provide a deduction of the performance of a given competitor based on the Competitive Landscape, or in the opposite direction, as their Marketing Communications can be used to infer the competitor's strategy.
It will be shared with students a global perspective of the What, When, How and Why of using these tools, per se, or in an integrated fashion. The ultimate goal is to create conditions for students positive impact in strategic decision making in organizations to which they belong or will belong.
Luís Alexandre Abrantes Madureira
Weekly - Available soon
Total - Available soon
Portuguese. If there are Erasmus students, classes will be taught in English
No previous enrollment necessary.
Due to being a hands on discipline, its is required that the students be present in all classes.
- PORTER, Michael E. (1980), "Competitive Strategy", Free Press, ISBN: 0-7432-6088-0.
- LAHNEMAN & ARCOS (2014), "The Art of Intelligence" Rowman & Littlefield, ISBN: 978-1-4422-2897-9
- NASSIM, Taleb (2007), "Black Swan", Random House, ISBN: 978-1400063512
- BURROWS, Mathew (2014) ?"The Future, Declassified" Palgrave Macmillan ISBN: 978-1-137-27955-2
- A.G. Lafley | MARTIN, Roger (2013), Harvard Business Review Press, "Playing to Win" ISBN: 978-1422187395
Theory followed by practice with a real business case
50% Continuous Evaluation (assiduiduty + participation + quality of participation) + 50% Final Project
Definitions - Intelligence, Competitive Intelligence, Strategy, Marketing
Collection - Primary and Secondary Sources
Analysis - Intelligence Funnel (R)
Decision-making support - Business WarGaming, Scenario Planning
Dissemination & Feedback in Competitive Intelligence
Programs where the course is taught: