This course will teach how to create visualizations that effectively communicate the meaning behind data through visual perception. Concepts about human perception of graphic information as well as different ways of mapping different forms of quantitative and qualitative data will be addressed. We will use R software to complete data visualization exercises aiming to explore visual interaction with data for analysis and communication.
Pedro da Costa Brito Cabral
Weekly - Available soon
Total - Available soon
Portuguese. If there are Erasmus students, classes will be taught in English
Tamara Munzner (2014). Visualization Analysis and Design. CRC Press.
Nathan Yau (2011). Visualize this ¿ The FlowingData Guide to Design, Visualization, and Statistics. Wiley Publishing, Inc.
Theoretical-practical classes related with Data Visualization concepts and specific software (R).
- Data Visualization academic paper presentation - groups of up to 4 students (15%).
- Project report and presentation (35%).
- 1st phase exam (50%)
- Project report and presentation (50%).
- 2nd phase Exam (50%)
- Introduction to visualization
- Data Abstraction and data types
- Marks and channels
- Visualizing Tables.
- Spatial Data.
- Graphs. Networks and Trees.
Programs where the course is taught: