Location Based Services
This course aims to explore the theoretical and practical concepts related with location based services (LBS). The theoretical part addresses the main societal impacts associated to the use of this technology. The technological aspects are explored and a diverse range of applications is presented. The practical component, aims to provide the basic capabilities to develop mobile applications with location based information using ESRI?s ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET.
In the end of the course, students should be able to:
- Discuss critically the main concepts related with LBS.
Develop a basic mobile application with maps in .NET which includes
Weekly - Available soon
Total - Available soon
Portuguese. If there are Erasmus students, classes will be taught in English
Previous experience with geographical data and ArcGIS software is recommended.
· Several links related to ArcGIS online and Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS will be provided.
· Ahson S. and Ilyas, M., “Location-Based Services Handbook: Applications, techniques, and Security”, CRC Press, 2011
· Selected academic papers and book chapters.
Theoretical and practical classes with software.
Teaching language is Portuguese. If there are non-portuguese speaking students and or professors, the course will be in English.
· 6 tutorials per group of maximum of 2 students (2% each, up to a total of 10%)
· LBS case-study presentation per group of maximum of 2 students (15%)
· Topic reporting and presentation with public discussion (groups of 2 students) (25%)
· 2 Tests during classes (each 25%) (40 multiple choice and T or F questions, no minimum grade).
· 6 tutorials (4% each, up to a total of 20%, these should be delivered before the data of the 2nd phase exam),
· Exam (80%) (2nd phase exam, minimum grade is 9.5 points, 3 open questions and 40 multiple choice and T or F questions).
1. LBS in society
a. LBS and privacy
b. Social and behavioral implications
2. LBS technologies
a. Positioning Technologies in Location-Based Services
b. Wireless Location Technology in Location-Based Services
c. Location in Wireless Local Area Networks
d. Radio Frequency Identification Positioning
e. Indoor Location Determination
f. Protecting Privacy in Location-Based Applications
g. Assisted Global Navigation Satellite Systems
3. LBS applications
b. Social networks
e. Augmented reality
k. Information services
The practical component comprises 6 tutorials to be developed during classes related with ArcGIS online and Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS.
Programs where the course is taught: