To prepare students to conduct the different stages of a research or work project, which include
the planning of the proposed work, the definition of objectives and methods and the preparation
of final the report (dissertation, thesis, project, or internship report).
Rui Alexandre Henriques Gonçalves
Weekly - Available soon
Total - Available soon
Portuguese. If there are Erasmus students, classes will be taught in English
• BRYMAN, A. (2012). Social Research Methods. 4th ed. Oxford University Press Inc.
• CATER-STEEL, A. and L. Al-Hakim (2009). Information Systems Research Methods,
Epistemology, and Applications. IGI Global Snippet
• CHART, C. (2001). Doing a Literature Search: a comprehensive guide for the social
sciences. London: Sage Publications
• OATES, B. J. (2006). Researching Information Systems and Computing. London: Sage
• RECKER, J. (2013). Scientific Research in Information Systems: A Beginner's Guide.
Progress in IS, Springer
• SAUNDERS, M.; A. Thornhill and P. Lewis (2012). Research Methods for Business
Students. 6th Ed. Prentice-Hall
Lectures and tutorials.
Thesis proposal (100%).
1. Introduction to research work.
a) The nature of research
b) The investigation process
2. Topic formulation and research objectives
a) A good research topic
b) The generation of ideas
c) Research questions, goals and objectives
3. The Critical review of the literature
a) Critical review
b) Literature search tools and sources
c) Norms for citation and references
4. Methodological approaches in scientific research.
Strategies and methods for research
a) Approaches to research
b) Research designs
5. Presentation of the final work: structure, content, and
a) Report structure
c) Writing: editing and norms
Programs where the course is taught:
- Specialization in Information Analysis and Management
- Specialization in Risk Analysis and Management
- Specialization in Knowledge Management and Business Intelligence
- Specialization in Information Systems and Technologies Management
- Specialization in Marketing Intelligence
- Specialization in Marketing Research and CRM
- Specialization in Knowledge Management and Business Intelligence – Working Hours Format
- Specialization in Information Systems and Technologies Management - Working Hours Format
- Specialization in Marketing Intelligence - Working Hours Format
- PostGraduate in Intelligence Management and Security