Data Privacy, Security and Ethics
This course covers privacy and ethical issues surrounding data, such as anonymization, European Union law, and main consideration in dealing with data.
The specific learning objectives are:
1. Describe and discuss central ethical issues relating to the topic
2. Identify concrete ethical and legal issues in concrete situations and suggest relevant legal solutions
3. Reflect on the law, its purpose, background, and impact on society
4. Identify and articulate some basic structures based on ethics and policies
5. Understand the relationship between data, ethics and society
6. Understand the main techniques to ensure data protection
Docente a designar
Weekly - Available soon
Total - Available soon
Portuguese. If there are Erasmus students, classes will be taught in English
- Rodrigues and Papakonstantinou (2018). Privacy and Data Protection Seals. T.M.C. Asser Press.
- Salomon, D. (2003). Data Privacy and Security. Springer-Verlag New York.
- Altshuler et al. (2013). Security and Privacy in Social Networks. Springer-Verlag New York.
The curricular unit is based on mix of theoretical lectures and practical classes. Each session will introduce new concepts and methodologies, as well as the applications of the learnt concepts using different computational tools. Different learning strategies will be used, such as lectures, slide show demonstrations, step-by-step tutorials on how to approach practical examples, questions, and answers.
The practical component is focused in exploring the different computational tools by the students, including a discussion on the best approach under different scenarios.
Evaluation: Exam (100%)
The purpose of this course is to give the student an understanding of regulatory issues concerning privacy and data protection. Compliance with the EU General Data Protection Regulation is in focus as well as its background, context, and content:
1. Living in a world dominated by data
2. Future of Data
3. Fundamental legal principles with particular focus on the European Union
4. Data ethics today
5. Data Security Assurance
Programs where the course is taught:
- Specialization in Information Analysis and Management
- Specialization in Risk Analysis and Management
- Specialization in Knowledge Management and Business Intelligence
- Specialization in Information Systems and Technologies Management
- Specialization in Marketing Intelligence
- Specialization in Marketing Research and CRM
- Specialization in Knowledge Management and Business Intelligence – Working Hours Format
- Specialization in Information Systems and Technologies Management - Working Hours Format
- Specialization in Marketing Intelligence - Working Hours Format
- Post-Graduation in Information Analysis and Management
- Post-Graduation Risk Analysis and Management
- PostGraduate in Data Science for Marketing
- PostGraduate Digital Marketing and Analytics
- Post-Graduation in Knowledge Management and Business Intelligence
- Post-Graduation Information Systems and Technologies Management
- Post-Graduation in Marketing Intelligence
- Post-Graduation Marketing Research e CRM