Management Tools in Food Services
a) Recognize an overall perspective about management in organizations.
b) Identify and apply the instruments to support decision-making in the areas of activity of the Nutritionist
c) Characterize the concept of Service in the areas of Nutrition and Food and its strategic vision.
d) Understand and discuss the critical development factors of the organizations and the activity of the Nutritionist (characteristics, segmentation and conceptualization of the business).
Prof.ª Doutora Conceição Calhau
Weekly - Available soon
Total - Available soon
· Santos, A.J.R., Gestão estratégica: conceitos, modelos e instrumentos. Escolar Editora, 2008. ISBN 9789752922293.
· Goleman, Daniel, Inteligência Emocional, 12ª edição, Temas & Debates, 2003.
· Thomas, Neil, O melhor de John Adair sobre Liderança e Gestão, Publicações Europa-América, 2009.
· Lencioni, Patrick, Os 5 Desafios das equipas, Uma fábula sobre liderança, 2ª edição, Editora Campus, 2009.
· Parreira, M., Liderança A Fórmula Multiplex, Edições Sílabo, 2010.
· Alexander, Caroline, O Endurance, Encurralados no gelo, Planeta Manuscrito, 2014.
· Tzu, Sun, A Arte da Guerra, Edições Sílabo, 2006.
· Osterwalder, Alex; Pigner, Yves; Bernarda, Greg; Smith, Alan, Criar propostas de valor, Publicações D. Quixote, 2015
The course is organized in lectures and practical classes: 1 weekly lecture for all students with a duration of 60 min each; 1 practical class per week of 1,5 hrs, in classes with a maximum of 15 students
The evaluation has a practical component and a final exam, both graded from 0 to 20. The assessment of the practicals is continuous, corresponds to 40% of the final grade, and takes into account the following criteria: performance and attendance of students; quality of the practical reports; attitude and knowledge demonstrated by the students; and one practical test. The final exam is 60% of the final grade and is covers all the theoretical and practical topics taught. The presence in the examination is conditional to attendance to at least 2/3 of the practical classes and a practical grade of at least 9,5. To be approved, the exam grade has to be at least 9,5.
· Concepts and objectives of an organization
· The life cycle of an organization
II. Service Concept
· Definition of service and leadership concepts
· Importance of leaders and their role
· Main theories about leadership
· Leadership styles
· Leadership vs management
· Leadership and team development
· Motivation vs satisfaction
· Effectiveness and efficiency
· Change management
III. Organization and Business Strategy
· Definition of the concept of strategy
· Phases to develop a Strategic Plan
· Competitive advantage
IV. Decision-making support tools
· Management cycle
· Definition of objectives. - SMART Methodology
· Main management tools
· Performance indicators and their application
V. Business Plan
· Business Plan Objectives
· Types of Business Plans
· Structure, dimension and topics to be addressed
Programs where the course is taught: