At the end of the curricular unit the student should be able to demonstrate:
· Knowledge on the main allergic diseases in a comprehensive perspective: epidemiologic, pathophysiologic and pharmacologic.
· Critical thinking skills on semiology.
· A level headed approach when looking for information about allergic diseases.
Prof. Doutor Pedro Martins
Weekly - Available soon
Total - Available soon
Rosado Pinto J, Morais de Almeida M. A criança Asmática no Mundo da Alergia. Lisboa: Euromédice Edições Médicas, 2003.
Taborda Barata L. Fundamentos de Imunoalergologia: da Epidemiologia ao Tratamento. Lisboa: Lidel, Edições Técnicas, 2011.
NF Adkinson Jr et al. Middletons Allergy: Principles and Practice, 7th ed. Philadelphia: Mosby Elsevier, 2008.
All presentations will be available in pdf format.
· Structure and function of the immune system; basis of allergic diseases.
· Epidemiology of allergic diseases.
· Risk factors of allergic diseases, genetics and environment.
· Food and inhalant allergens as well as drugs, vaccines and diagnostic agents which more often induce hypersensitivity reactions.
· Environmental allergen prevention.
· Pharmacotherapy of allergic diseases.
· Specific immunotherapy (vaccines) and its various routes of administration.
· Definition, pathophysiology, clinical management and approach (therapeutic, preventive and rehabilitation) of asthma, rhinitis and allergic conjunctivitis.
· Definition, pathophysiology, clinical management and approach (therapeutic, preventive and rehabilitation) of atopic dermatitis, urticaria and angioedema, prurigo strophulus.
· Definition, pathophysiology, clinical management and approach (therapeutic, preventive and rehabilitation) of drug hypersensitivity and food allergy, hypersensibility to hymenopter venom.
Programs where the course is taught: