NOVA School of Social Sciences and Humanities
- Bachelor in Anthropology
- Bachelor in Archeology
- Bachelor in Art History
- Bachelor in Communication Sciences
- Bachelor in Geography and Regional Management
- Bachelor in History
- Bachelor in Language Sciences
- Bachelor in Languages, Literature and Culture
- Bachelor in Musicology
- Bachelor in Philosophy
- Bachelor in Political Science and International Relations
- Bachelor in Portuguese Studies
- Bachelor in Portuguese and Business
- Bachelor in Sociology
- Bachelor in Sociology (After Work)
- Bachelor in Translation
- Master in Aesthetics and Artistic Studies
- Master in Anthropology
- Master in Archaeology
- Master in Art History
- Master in Communication Sciences
- Master in Cultural Heritage
- Master in Editing and Publishing
- Master in Education Studies
- Master in English Didactics
- Master in English Teaching in the 3rd cycle of Basic School and in Secondary School
- Master in Geography Teaching in the 3rd cycle of Basic School and in Secondary School
- Master in History
- Master in History in 3º Cycle of Basic and Secondary Education
- Master in History of the Portuguese Empire
- Master in Human Ecology and Contemporary Social Problems
- Master in Information Management and Curation
- Master in Journalism
- Master in Language Sciences
- Master in Languages, Literature and Culture
- Master in Migration, Inter-Ethnicity and Transnationalism
- Master in Museology
- Master in Musical Arts
- Master in Musical Education in Elementary Education
- Master in Musicology
- Master in New Media and Web Practices
- Master in Performing Arts
- Master in Philosophy
- Master in Philosophy Teaching in Secondary Education
- Master in Political Science and International Relations
- Master in Portuguese Studies
- Master in Portuguese Teaching in the 3rd Cycle of Basic School and in Secondary School
- Master in Science Communication
- Master in Sociology
- Master in Spatial Planning and Geographic Information Systems
- Master in Teaching Portuguese as a second or Foreign Language
- Master in Teaching of English and a Foreign Language in the 3rd Cycle of Elementary Education, specialization in Spanish or French
- Master in Teaching of English in Primary Education
- Master in Teaching of Portuguese and a Foreign Language in the 3rd Cycle of Elementary Education and in Secondary Education, specialisation in German, or Spanish, or French, or English
- Master in Territorial Management
- Master in Translation
- Master in Urban Studies
- Master in Women's Studies. Women in Society and in Culture
- Masters in Crossways in Cultural Narratives
- Masters in Sustainable Urbanism and Spatial Planning
- PhD In International Relations
- PhD in Anthropology (association)
- PhD in Art Studies - Art and Mediations
- PhD in Climate Change and Sustainable Development Policies
- PhD in Communication Sciences
- PhD in Didactics of Languages - Multilingualism and Education for Global Citizenship
- PhD in Digital Media
- PhD in Education
- PhD in Gender Studies
- PhD in Geography and Territorial Planning
- PhD in Globalization Studies
- PhD in History
- PhD in History of Art
- PhD in Human Ecology
- PhD in Linguistics
- PhD in Literatures and Modern Cultures
- PhD in Medieval Studies
- PhD in Musicology
- PhD in Philosophy
- PhD in Political Science
- PhD in Portuguese Studies
- PhD in Sociology (association)
- PhD in Translation and Terminology
- PhD in Urban Studies
- Postgraduate Course in ART MARKET
- Postgraduate Course in Multiplatform Journalism
- Pós-Graduação em Artes da Escrita
- Pós-Graduação em Comunicar e Apreender na Era Digital
- Pós-Graduação em Comunicação de Cultura e Indústrias Criativas
- Pós-Graduação em Curadoria de Arte
- Pós-Graduação em Ensino do Português como Língua não Materna
- Pós-Graduação em Estudos Estratégicos e de Segurança
- Pós-Graduação em Estudos Helénicos: Grécia - Identidade e Cultura (entre textos e contextos)
- Pós-Graduação em Gestão e Políticas de Ciência e Tecnologia
- Pós-Graduação em Globalização, Diplomacia e Segurança
- Pós-Graduação em Música na Infância: Intervenção e Investigação
- Pós-Graduação em Sistemas Digitais de Aprendizagem
GeneralThe NOVA way of being in the social sciences, arts and humanities
The School of Social Sciences and Humanities - NOVA University of Lisbon (NOVA FCSH) opened its doors in January 1978 with a focus on the social sciences and humanities, challenging the leading role of the Colleges of Letters in the Portuguese panorama.
Since that year, NOVA FCSH has been a pioneer in many areas of knowledge, but, above all, in the vision it has developed for teaching and research, which winds up today in a permanent commitment: interdisciplinarity, internationalization and transfer of knowledge for society.
The NOVA way of being in the social sciences, the arts and the humanities is reflected in the numbers of excellence, in the people who are part of the community and in our daily challenges.
For the academic year 2020-21, NOVA FCSH offers 15 undergraduate degrees; 43 master's degrees, nine of which in teaching; 24 doctorates; 14 postgraduate courses and one specialization course.
The academic community welcomes almost 5,000 students, more than 300 professors, most of whom with a PhD, and about 1,500 researchers, of whom 150 are full-time staff. It also offers more than 400 mobility protocols in 22 countries.
Leadership is part of its DNA: it achieved first place in Social and Human Sciences research regarding the most cited publications (CWTS Leiden ranking of 2019); of the 14 Research Units evaluated by the Foundation for Science and Technology, eight had the classification Excellent and four obtained Very Good; it was considered the best university in Portugal to study arts and humanities (2017 Times Higher Education ranking).
NOVA FCSH has two campuses: at Avenida de Berna, where the undergraduate, master's and postgraduate courses are taught, and at Campolide (Colégio Almada Negreiros), where the Research Units and Doctoral courses operate.
Mobility studentsInternational and National Mobility
The School of Social Sciences and Humanities has made considerable efforts on internationalization and receives an increasing number of students and teachers from internationally acknowledged universities every year. The School has established a wide network of partnerships to this effect. The University participates in several European programmes, namely Erasmus+, Erasmus-Mundus and Santander Universities Scholarships.
NOVA FCSH hosts several partnerships with international higher education institutions for the mobility of students, by means of bilateral agreements.
The Almeida Garrett programme provides a national framework for the mobility of students in Portugal, with the aim of reinforcing the quality and dimension of the national higher education system.
This program allows students to attend a partner Portuguese university, in a given period of mobility, assuring full academic recognition.
Outgoing students can apply to universities offering positions for students, in accordance with the regulations. More information is available at the School’s Intranet.
For incoming students, for the mobility take place, partner Universities need to nominate their students and should send all necessary documentation, properly completed, signed and stamped.
After arriving at NOVA FCSH, mobility students should go to NEIMA-International Students & Exchange Office - 1st Floor of Tower B (Ticket International/Erasmus), in order to receive all necessary information regarding administrative procedures.
Admission and enrollmentBachelor
Students are admitted to NOVA FCSH, through the National Access Competition for Higher Education, and register at the Academic Services - Undergraduate Section, within the period set by ministerial dispatch. In addition to the payment of the first instalment of tuition fees, administrative costs and educational insurance, the following documents are also required:
- 2 photographs
- Identity Card (original)
- Tax Payer Number (original)
Students who have applied for admission through other Special Admission Procedures "Concursos Especiais" (older than 23 years of age and/or holders of higher education and training qualifications), as well as Transfers, Course changes and Readmissions, should register at the Academic Services - Undergraduate Section, after the decision concerning their application process is taken.
Applications for 1st cycle courses under the Regulation of the International Student
Information at http://fcsh.unl.pt/internacional/admissoes-e-contactos
After the selection process has been completed, students who have been admitted register at the Academic Services - Masters Section (see the school's academic calendar in this Guide). In addition to the payment of the first instalment of tuition fees, administrative costs and educational insurance, the following documents are also required:
- Identity Card (original)
- Tax Payer Number (original)
- Certificate of competence (original plus one copy)
After the selection process has been completed, students who have been admitted register at the Academic Services - PhD Section (see the school's academic calendar in this Guide). In addition to the payment of the first instalment of tuition fees, administrative costs and educational insurance, the following documents are also required:
- Identity Card (original)
- Tax Payer Number (original)
- Certificate of competence (original plus one copy)
LibrariesMário Sottomayor Cardia Library
The BMSC was named after Professor Mário Sottomayor Cardia in 2008, following the donation of his private book collection, made by the family to the Faculty. This library is open to students, teachers, researchers and NOVA FCSH workers, as well as to anyone interested. Holder of a colletion with more than 150 thousand titles (142 thousand books, 4 thousand magazines and 4 thousand units of non-book material) BMSC asserts itself as a reference library in the area of Social Sciences and Humanities.
Location: NOVA FCSH, Torre B, 1st Floor
Opening hours: Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 8.00pm. Saturdays 9.30am to 1.30pm.
Vitorino Magalhães Godinho Library
The BVMG Library is a specialized library, dedicated to research and aimed, above all, at researchers. It is so named since 2018, following the donation of the library by Professor Vitorino Magalhães Godinho, made by the family to the Faculty. In addition to this private library, BVMG also provides documentary funds from 14 NOVA FCSH Research Units. Here, the Samuel Schwarz Library is also housed, a collection with unique characteristics that mainly deals with the history, culture and religion of the Jewish people, preserving works that date from 1510 to 1953.
Location: NOVA FCSH, Colégio Almada Negreiros, 1st Floor
Opening hours: Monday to Friday from 10h30am to 6h30pm.
Mapoteca's main mission is to make cartographic information available to students and teachers from all departments and research units of NOVA FCSH. It has a cartography collection produced by several Institutions, of different editions and at different scales, which covers the national territory, as well as a good part of the former colonial territories.
Other equipmentsLaboratories | Computer rooms | Studios | Wireless Internet available throughout the Campus
Interchange programsThe School of Social Sciences and Humanities (NOVA FCSH) participates in several European and global programmes, namely:
- Santander Universities Scholarships
- CIEE - College Study Abroad
- SiPn - Study in Portugal Network
NOVA FCSH promotes a great number of partnerships with international higher education institutions, for the mobility of students, through bilateral agreements.
IntershipsNOVA FCSH supports the professional integration of its students, fostering activities that aim to expose them to the job market, as well as to entrepreneurial activities as a means for personal and professional development. Professional Integration and Alumni Office (NIPAA) develops its activity in the following areas: - Professional guidance and counselling for students and recent graduates; - Development of training activities and events focused on student and graduate employability; - Fostering of entrepreneurial activities; - Searching for and communicating job/internship opportunities to students and recent graduates; - Corporate relations - Reception and communication of job/internship opportunities; - Support regarding students and alumni recruitment, including the organization of corporate presentation events on campus.
ScholarshipsNOVA FCSH provides several scholarships for undergraduate, masters and PhD students, in order to support and award its students’ merit. - ESTUDAR+ Scholarships - Santander Future Scholarships - TOP Scholarships - NOVA Merit Scholarships - NOVA Social Welfare Services Scholarships
Language coursesLanguage courses
Portuguese Language Courses for foreigners
Coordinated by: Professor Susana Correia
Semester Courses| Summer Course
More information available on http://ple.fcsh.unl.pt/
ILNOVA - Language Institute of Universidade Nova de Lisboa
Director: Professor Doutor Carlos Ceia
Vice-director: Professor Isabel Oliveira Martins
Food servicesNOVA FCSH’s students have a canteen that serves meals at reduced prices and access to all SASNOVA units, as well as food services belonging to all other Public Higher Education Institutions in Lisbon. In addition to the canteen, NOVA FCSH further provides: - SASNOVA’s snack-bar, located at Floor 0, B Tower Schedule: from 7:30AM until 8PM. - Com Sabor Restaurant - located at NOVA FCSH’s campus Schedule: from 8AM until 10PM.
Special needs facilitiesNOVA FCSH provides access ramps to the elevators at Towers A and B, as well as accessible restrooms in all buildings and floors. At the IT Office, in building B2, the following computer equipment specially adapted for the use of blind and visually impaired students is available: - JAWS 11.0 (screen reader); - Openbook (character recognition software); - Magic 11.0 (screen enlargement software); - Winbraille and Braille Índex Everest printer (software and printer for braille printing). Students that wish to access specific support or conditions during their academic course due to special needs should request the Special Needs Statute. For this purpose, students must fill out the respective form, attaching medical reports and/or other documents, after the enrolment at NOVA FCSH. Contacts: Student and Candidate Support Office - email@example.com
Student associationStudent association
NOVA FCSH Student Union: http://ae.fcsh.unl.pt/
Other informationSummer School (Escola de Verão)
Coordinator: Professor Clara Nunes Correia
NOVA FCSH launches every year, from july to september, a Summer School with intensive training programmes and short-term courses in all areas of Social Sciences and Humanities. Available to the general public, from Portugal or from the rest of the world, these courses aims at providing students an introduction or in-depth topics or specific materials covering all scientific fields taught at NOVA FCSH. Students will find a great opportunity to expand and develop skills with higher education lecturers and at the same time a privileged space for dialogue and a meeting point for people from Portuguese-speaking countries, Europe and the rest of the world. Upon successful completion, each course is worth a number of ECTS credits which may be recognised as part of ongoing studies. The Summer School courses are also accredited to primary or secondary school teachers.
Tel.: 21 790 83 32
The Innovation Centre is a NOVA FCSH organization dedicated to supporting the creation and initial development of companies, cooperatives and other economic projects of their students, recent graduates, alumni and researchers, and the transfer of knowledge among the faculty, their research units and economic actors in the fields of social sciences, arts and humanities. More Information at our website.
1st Cycle - Enrolment in course units (for already registered students of previous year): 2020-08-27 -> 2020-09-04
2nd Cycle – Applications - 1st call: 2020-02-17 -> 2020-03-29
2nd Cycle/Postgraduate courses - Applications - 2nd call: 2020-03-30 -> 2020-06-19
2nd Cycle - Admissions/Enrolment in classes - 1st call: 2020-04-23 -> 2020-04-30
2nd Cycle – Registration of master thesis/project/internship - 1st semester (at InforEstudante): 2020-06-01 -> 2020-09-30
2nd Cycle/Postgraduate courses - Admissions/Enrolment (2nd call): 2020-07-16 -> 2020-07-27
3rd Cycle - Applications (1st call): 2020-02-17 -> 2020-03-29
3rd Cycle - Applications (2nd call): 2020-03-30 -> 2020-06-19
3rd Cycle - Admissions/Enrolment/ Request Credit Transfer (for 1st call admitted candidates): 2020-04-23 -> 2020-04-30
3rd Cycle - Admissions/Enrolment/ Request Credit Transfer (for 2nd call admitted candidates): 2020-07-16 -> 2020-07-27
Christmas Break: 2020-12-21 -> 2021-01-03
Carnival Break: 2021-02-15 -> 2021-02-16
Easter Break: 2021-03-29 -> 2021-04-05