PhD in Art Studies - Art and Mediations
1. Acquisition of high level analytical skills for the critical evaluation of artistic processes of creation and circulation;
2. Acquisition of methodological and theoretical tools for carrying out advanced and innovative levels of research in the field of art studies with the objective of completing a doctoral degree thesis or, in the case of work of art based doctoral degrees, the fundamentation required for such recognition;
3. Understanding the transversal nature of artistic objects, their influences and the implications for structuring social, political and cultural life;
4. Capacity to set out the development and the results of advanced Artistic study research as well as participate in national and international academic events in this field or publications in peer-reviewed journals;
5. Capacity to apply the knowledge acquired to new problematic issues related to the field of Artistic Studies and their implications for the epistemologies of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
PhD (3rd Cycle)
Access to other programs
The degree of "doutor" is a final qualification.
João Mário Lourenço Bagão Grilo
1400 Euros/year or 2500 Euros/year (foreign students)
Length: 8 semesters. Total credits: 240 credits (90 from curricular units + 150 credits from the non teaching component). Non teaching component modalities: Thesis. Number of credits as free-elective optionals: 20 credits. The free-elective seminars can be chosen among curricular units from the postgraduate training offered by the Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities (FCSH/NOVA), in other units of NOVA University of Lisbon, or other national or foreign Higher Education institutions, by agreement or protocol.
Conditions of admittance
1. Candidates must meet the conditions established by national law, by the regulations of the New University of Lisbon, and satisfy at least one of the following conditions: a) To hold a degree of Master in Arts/Artistic Studies or in other legally equivalent; b) To hold a degree of License or legally equivalent, and to detain a particularly relevant scientific, academic or artistic curriculum duly recognized; c) To detain a particularly relevant scientific, academic, artistic or professional curriculum duly recognized. 2. The recognition by the Scientific Council of FCSH mentioned in b) and c) will be based on two recommendations produced by holders of doctoral degrees that are considered as specialists in the domain. 3. Candidates should submit a letter of intentions and a research program articulated with the Doctoral Course.
The study course leading to the doctoral degree includes the completion of a doctoral program that consists of curricular unit aimed at training for research; the realization of an original thesis, designed especially for this purpose, appropriate to the branch of knowledge or expertise. The seminar curricular units type are classified on a scale of 0-20. The final classification of the PhD course is expressed by approved or not approved formulas. In case of approval, the final classification of the PhD course is expressed in the range 10-20 on a scale of 0-20, doing the arithmetic average of the marks in which the curricular units with 10 ECTS. The final classification of the thesis is expressed by formulas approved or refused by justified nominal vote with no abstentions.
|73217150||Research Methods inResearch Methods in Artistic Studies||10.0|
|73217156||Research Project in Artistic Studies||30.0|
|73217151||Advanced Resarch Themes in Artistic Studies||10.0|
|73217157||Thesis and Defense in Urban Studies||150.0|
|73217153||Art and Reseearch||10.0|
|73217152||Art and Technology||10.0|
|73217155||Arts of the Contemporary Scene||10.0|
|73202103||Ethnomusicology||10.0||Mandatory ECTS number: 20|