area of specialisation in Language Development and Language Impairment
1) To develop advanced competences in research and academic communication;
2) To acquire research and critical skills in contemporary topics on education and language learning, with a focus on Portuguese language;
3) To acquire a global understanding of contemporary Education;
4) To acquire strategic skills for the planning of practices in cooperation and development with a focus on lusophone countries;
5) To develop advanced knowledge on problems and conditions for the teaching of second and foreign languages, in multilingual and multicultural contexts;
6) To acquire methodological skills for the usage of analytical, practical and communicative tools in the strategic learning of PSL/PFL;
7) To develop advanced oral and written competences in the field mentioned above;
8) To acquire theoretical and methodological competences for the production of a dissertation within the academic framework.
Access to other programs
Access to the cycle of studies which leads to a Doctorate Degree. For the specific access conditions, consult the regulations governing the doctoral programmes at NOVA FCSH.
Ana Maria Lavadinho Madeira
1200 Euros/year or 2500 Euros/year (foreign students)
Duration: 3 semesters
Total Number of Credits: 93; 60 in UCs (Curricular Units) + 33 (Dissertation or Work Project or Internship with Report)
Credits in free-optional courses: 20 (the student may carries out 20 credits as free-elective optional (from curricular units of postgraduate level at FCSH/NOVA, UNL, or other national or foreign institutions of higher education under agreement).
The degree of «mestre» corresponds to the level 7 of the NQF and EQF-National Qualifications Framework/European Qualifications Framework.
1. To systematize the main concepts of linguistic description and analysis.
2. To be acquainted with distinct language sciences proposals and to assess their adequacy for the framing of work to be produced within distinct subareas.
3. To select methodologies for data collection and analysis, appropriate to distinct objectives and tasks to be carried out, and correctly related to distinct theoretical frameworks.
4. To apply the scientific knowledge and the appropriate methodologies in the development of research on various languages and in the accomplishment of several tasks in domains such as: language development and language impairment, linguistic revision and consultancy, terminology and specialized information management.
5. To recognize problems and to define problem solving strategies using the appropriate resources and tools.
6. To write an original paper (thesis / work project essay / work experience with report) for the completion of the masters degree.
This path is an option of
Conditions of admittance
Application and access conditions to the cycle of studies reflect the conditions established in the national legislation, namely: - to hold a licenciado degree or legal equivalent; -to hold a foreign academic degree recognized by the Scientific Council of NOVA FCSH. - to hold an academic, scientific or professional curriculum vitae recognized by the Scientific Council of NOVA FCSH. Applicants will be selected and ranked according to the criteria annually defined in the application edict.
A final grade, expressed as a number between 10 and 20 on a scale of 0 to 20 as well as its equivalent on the ECTS grading scale, is awarded for the post-graduate diploma. The final grade of the post-graduate diploma is the average, by credit, of the grades obtained in the course units in which the student obtained the 60 credits from the taught part of the Masters course. A final grade, expressed as a number between 10 and 20 on a scale of 0 to 20 as well as its equivalent on the ECTS grading scale, is awarded for the Masters degree. The final grade of the Masters degree will be the average of the final grade of the taught part of the course, weighted to 40%, and the grade awarded to the dissertation, project work or work experience with report, weighted to 60%.
|722131105||Second Language Acquisition||10.0|
|722131101||Language Acquisition and Language Impairment||10.0|
|722131102||Language Development in Multilingual Contexts||10.0|
|722131106||Methodologies for the Study of Language Acquisition||10.0|
|722131107||Dissertation in Language Sciences, Language Development and Language Impairment||30.0|
|722131108||Traineeship with Report in Language Sciences, Language Development and Language Impairment||30.0|
|722131109||Project in Language Sciences, Language Development and Language Impairment||30.0||Mandatory ECTS number: 30|