History of the Construction of Brazil
1. Identify the main stages of the Portuguese settlement and colonization of South America from the early sixteenth century until independence (1822).
2. Acquire an understanding of the history of colonial Brazil as the result of the dynamic interaction of political, economic and social conditions, in the context of the Portuguese political sphere.
3. Acquire knowledge of the most influential historiographical approaches of the subjects under analysis.
4. Be able to analyze and interpret historical documents and understand them in their historical context.
5. Improve skills to communicate orally and in writing, integrating the vocabulary and concepts specific to this field of studies.
Pedro António Albuquerque e Castro de Almeida Cardim
Weekly - 4
Total - 168
LANGFUR, HAL (ed.), Native Brazil. Beyond the convert and the cannibal, 1500-1900, Albuquerque, University of New Mexico Press, 2014.
PAQUETTE, Gabriel, Imperial Portugal in the Age of Atlantic Revolutions. The Luso-Brazilian World, c. 1770-1850, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2013.
RUSSELL-WOOD, A. J., A World on the Move: The Portuguese in Africa, Asia, and America, 1415-1808, London, Carcanet Press, 1992.
SCHWARTZ, Stuart, Sugar Plantations in the Formation of Brazilian Society: Bahia, 1550-1835, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1986.
SCHULTZ, Kirsten, Tropical Versailles. Empire, monarchy, and the Portuguese royal court in Rio de Janeiro, 1808-1821, Nova Iorque-Londres, Routledge, 2001.
Lectures play an important role in this course, though not exclusively. Students will be asked to engage actively during classes and encouraged to analyze and comment written sources or other teaching resources.
written test(50%), written test(50%)
1.The native peoples of South America before the arrical of the Europeans.
2. The foundations of the Portuguese colonization (1500-1548).
3. Brazil within the Iberian union.
4. The increasing use of African slave and the birth of an Atlantic system.
5. The Dutch Brazil.
6. Portuguese America between 1654 and 1700.
7. The political-administrative reforms of the first half of the 18th century.
8. Brazil under the marquis of Pombal.The monopolist companies.
9. Conspiracies, plots and revolts in the turn of the century.
10. The road to independence.
Programs where the course is taught: