Licenciatura in Translation
1) To acquire methodological instruments for research and analysis in order to develop learning, critical choice and reflective skills which allow appropriate application of the knowledge acquired to practical situations;
2) To develop plurilinguistic communicative competence by furthering the knowledge of foreign languages, with particular emphasis on one foreign language and on the mother tongue;
3) To acquire theoretical knowledge in the area of Translation Studies;
4) To undertake intensive translation practice into the mother tongue and into a foreign language in specific areas of knowledge, namely technical-scientific translation, literary translation, business translation and translation for the human and social sciences;
5) To develop professional skills and abilities in the field of Translation, whether in specialist companies or free-lance work;
6) To develop the ability to engage in linguistic and cultural mediation of information, ideas, problems and solutions in a wide range of communicative situations;
7) To develop competence in the application of new technologies to Translation.
Bachelor (1st Cycle)
Access to other programs
Completion of the Licenciatura (1st cycle) degree allows the holder to apply for Masters programmes (2nd Cycle), or other post-graduate courses including those which do not confer a degree.
Maria Zulmira Bandarra de Sousa Verissimo Castanheira
697 Euros/year or 3500 Euros/year (foreign students)
Each student must obtain 180 credits: 42 credits from compulsory courses of the study programme, 126 credits from restricted options and 12 credits from free options. Each semester the student may not enrol in more than 30 credits and must respect any pre-requisites which have been set. At the beginning of each semester, the student is advised as to which courses are the most appropriate for their academic pathway and which they should take.
Legal framework/Study programme - Aviso n.º 13232/2016 - DR, 2.ª série, n.º207, de 27 de outubro de 2016.
The degree of licenciado corresponds to the level 6 of the NQF and EQF-National Qualifications Framework/European Qualifications Framework.
Conditions of admittance
Students may be admitted to Higher Education through the National Competition for Access to Higher Education, special competitions/regimes and entry systems, re-enrolment systems, course changes and transfers. To apply for access to higher education through the National Competition, students must fulfill the requirements described in DGES/Access to Higher Education. More info at http://www.dges.gov.pt/guias/?plid=593 For more information about International Students please visit https://www.fcsh.unl.pt/internacional/estatuto-de-estudante-internacional/
Students at FCSH are evaluated based on the work developed over a semester, based on class participation, presentation of written and oral tests and examinations. The result obtained either by continuous assessment or evaluation of the tests is expressed on a scale of 0 to 20. To be approved, students must have at least 10 points to pass, however, who fail have a second chance to repeat the exams. Repeat exam: Has access any student of 1st or 2nd cycle who has obtained the minimum grade of eight values per rounding in the final grade of the curricular unit. SPECIAL PROCEDURES FOR EVALUATION: - Worker-Student - Students with the status of top athletes - Mothers and fathers students - Associative leaders - Military - Other special arrangements provided legally. Students with special needs can benefit from teaching and learning conditions to meet their needs.
|01100167||History of Translation||6.0|
|711131043||Introduction to Language Sciences||6.0|
|711131075||Linguistics for Translation||6.0|
|01100189||Theory of Translation||6.0|
|Optional Curricular Units 1|
|01100221||English Linguistics||6.0||Mandatory ECTS number: 6|
|Optional Curricular Units 2|
|711121068||English C2.3||6.0||Mandatory ECTS number: 54|
|Optional Curricular Units 4|
|711101065||Translation Practice: Social and Human Sciences (Portuguese to German)||6.0|
|711111091||Translation Practice: Social and Human Sciences (Portuguese to Spanish)||6.0|
|711111092||Translation Practice: Social and Human Sciences (Portuguese to French)||6.0|
|711121056||Translation Practice: Social and Human Sciences (Portuguese to English)||6.0|
|711101067||Technical-Scientific Translation Practice (Portuguese to German)||6.0|
|711111099||Technical-Scientific Translation Practice (Portuguese to Spanish)||6.0|
|711111100||Technical-Scientific Translation Practice (Portuguese to French)||6.0|
|711121060||Technical-Scientific Translation Practice (Portuguese to English)||6.0||Mandatory ECTS number: 18|
|Optional Curricular Units 5|
|711160010||German Translation Seminar||12.0|
|711160012||Spanish Translation Seminar||12.0|
|711160011||French Translation Seminar||12.0|
|711160013||English Translation Seminar||12.0||Mandatory ECTS number: 12|
|711121071||Advanced Information Technology for Translation||6.0|
|711121069||English for Professional Purposes||6.0|
|711121070||Introduction to Subtitling||6.0|
|711131054||Lexicology and Lexicography||6.0|