Translation Practice: Social and Human Sciences (English to Portuguese)
a) To improve the linguistic and cultural knowledge of different (con)texts in Social Sciences and Humanities;
b) To develop practical translation skills in the above-mentioned field.
Miguel Nuno Mercês de Mello de Alarcão e Silva
Weekly - 4
Total - 168
Pasta com textos seleccionados de Ciências Sociais e Humanas (disponível na loja NOVA CÓPIA).
- BAKER, Mona (1992). Coursebook on Translation. London/New York: Routledge.
- KATAN, David (1999). Translating Cultures: An Introduction for Translators, Interpreters and Mediators. Manchester: St. Jerome Publishing.
- NEWMARK, Peter (2003). A Textbook of Translation. Essex: Longman.
- WALLERSTEIN, Immanuel (1981). Concepts in the Social Sciences: Problems of Translation. In Translation Spectrum: Essays in Theory and Practice. Ed. M.G. Rose. Albany: State University of New York Press, pp. 88-98.
Presentation of the Social Sciences and Humanities to be explored;
Regular translation practice, identifying the problems raised by each text.
A written test, done in class(50%), Oral presentation of translations of previously assigned texts(50%)
1. General problems met when translating texts pertaining the Social Sciences and Humanities;
2. Translation of source language texts from the above-mentioned field;
3. Critical assessment and analysis of lexical/vocabulary choices, style, pragmatics, etc.
Programs where the course is taught: