Ethnographic Contexts (Africa)
1. Provide a general introduction to the history of the relationship between Europe and Africa
2. Raising awareness of Western discourses produced about Africa
3. Illustrate the diversity of contemporary Africa in political, economic, cultural and religious terms.
4. Learn and discuss the theoretical and analytical perspectives of Africanist Anthropology.
Amélia Maria de Melo Frazão Moreira
Weekly - 4
Total - 168
BOHANNON, P., CURTIN, P., Africa & Africans, 1995, Illinois, Waveland Press.
GRINKER, Roy Richard, STEINER, Christopher (eds.), 1997, Perspectives on Africa. A Reader in Culture, History, & Representation, Oxford, Blackwells.
ILIFFE, John, 1995, Os Africanos. História de um Continente, Lisboa: Terramar.
M´BOKOLO, Elikia, 2003/2007, África Negra. História e Civilizações, Tomos I e II, Lisboa: Edições Colibri.
MOORE, Sally Falk, 1994, Anthropology and Africa. Changing Perspectives on a Changing Scene, Charlottesville & Londres, University of Virginia Press.
NTARAGWI, Mwenda, MILLS, David, e BABIKER, Mustafa, 2006, African Anthropologies. History, Critique and Practice, Londres e Nova Iorque, Zed Books.
Lectures and individual presentations of case studies. The students must also do, individually or in groups, brief written exercises that are discussed in classes.
Evaluation: Class attendance (10%), Presentation and discussion of a case-study(20%), Written test (25%); Final paper (45%). (70%)
I. Europe and Africa. Perceptions and interactions: historiographical and anthropological perspectives.
1. Africa in the European imaginary in the XV-XX
2. Anthropological and colonial construction of African societies
3. Discourses of power: colonial photography
4. Ethnicity and tribalism
5. Resistance, nationalism and decolonization
II. Issues and problems of ethnographic contemporary Africa
1. African economies as cultural systems
2. Territory and environment
3. Gender, family and sexuality
4. African religious beliefs and rituals
5. Islam and Christianity in the South of the Sahara
6. Education and cultural change
7. "Traditional" and modern health systems
Programs where the course is taught: